Detection of Internal Delamination in Composite Mono Leaf Spring based on Vibration Characteristics
- 97 Downloads
Structural health monitoring (SHM) is one of the non destructive evaluations universally accepted to detect defect or damage in composite structures. The paper deals with detection of inter laminar delamination problems in composite mono leaf spring during service conditions by vibration techniques. The delamination detection is crucial issue as it leads to catastrophic failure. The vibration parameters such as natural frequency and modes shapes are evaluated for healthy and delaminated spring. It has been observed that some mode shapes are found to be more sensitive to the delaminated region. The presence, location and severity of delamination are simulated and validated by experimental modal analysis for both the spring and found closer approximation with each other.
KeywordsStructural health monitoring Composite mono leaf spring Delamination Vibration techniques Experimental modal analysis
The author would like appreciate the support provided by M/s Creative Fibro-tech during manufacturing of composite leaf spring.
- 4.I. Ullah, J.K. Sinha, A novel method for delamination detection in composites. Int. J. Innov. Appl. Stud. 2, 34–42 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.W. Lestari, S. Hanagud, Health monitoring of structures: multiple delamination dynamics in composite beams, The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Inc., pp. 1–10 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.R. Sultan, S. Guirguis, M. Younes, E. El-Soaly, Effect of the thickness-wise location delamination on natural frequency for laminate composite. Int. J. Appl. Eng. Res. 8, 157–170 (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.S.-Y. Kuo, Effect of delamination on natural frequencies of rectangular laminates. J. Aeronaut. Astronaut. Aviat. Ser. A 43, 209–218 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.R. Palazzetti, I. Trendafilova, A. Zucchelli, G. Minak, Delamination localization and length estimation in composite laminate beam by VSHM and pattern recognition methods. In: 14th European Conference on Composite Materials, ECCM14, Budapest, Hungary, pp. 1–15 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Z. Zhang, K. Shankar, M. Tahtali, E.V. Morozov, Vibration modeling of composite laminates with delamination damage, International Congress on Acoustics, ICA, Sydney, pp. 1–8 (2010)Google Scholar