Analysis of Distribution System with D-STATCOM by Gravitational Search Algorithm (GSA)
- 3 Downloads
In order to analyze the distribution system (DS) to minimize the power losses and improve power quality, finding accurate position size of distribution static compensator (D-STATCOM) is essential. In this paper, a metaheuristic optimization technique, the gravitational search algorithm (GSA) is proposed for the analysis of DS with accurate placing and sizing of distributed static synchronous compensator (D-STATCOM) for power loss reduction, minimum voltage profile index, improvement in voltage profile and annual energy saving for distribution network operator. The effectiveness of the proposed algorithm is tested on IEEE 33 and IEEE 69 bus systems, and performance of GSA has been compared with other techniques such as immune algorithm, bat algorithm and sensitivity approach method for optimal allocation of D-STATCOM. It is found that the best performance is achieved by the proposed method. Forward–backward sweep method is used for the load flow solutions in this paper.
KeywordsAnnual energy saving Distribution system D-STATCOM GSA Loss reduction
This research paper is made possible through the help and support from the College of Engineering Roorkee (COER), Roorkee. We acknowledge the administration of COER, Uttarakhand, India, for providing the support.
- 1.J. Sanami, S. Gangull, A.K. Panda, Allocation of D-STATCOM and DG in distribution systems to reduce power loss using ESM algorithm, in Proceedings of 1st IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics. Intelligent Control and Energy Systems, Delhi, India, 4–6 July (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.S.R. Ghatak, S. Sannigrahi, P. Acharjee, Comparative performance analysis of DG and D-STATCOM using improved PSO based on success rate for deregulated environment. IEEE Syst. J. 99, 1–12 (2017)Google Scholar
- 12.B.S. Chabok, A. Ashouri, Optimal placement of D-STATCOMs into the radial distribution networks in the presence of distributed generations. Am. J. Electr. Electron. Eng. 4(2), 40–48 (2016)Google Scholar
- 15.X.-S. Yang, A new meta heuristic bat-inspired algorithm, in Nature Inspired Cooperative Strategies for Optimization, Studies in Computational Intelligence, ed. by J.R. Gonzalez, et al. (Springer, Berlin, 2010), pp. 65–74Google Scholar
- 18.M. Farhoodnea, A. Mohamed, S. Hussain, Z. Hadi, Optimum D-STATCOM placement using firefly algorithm for power quality enhancement, in Proceedings of International Conference, Power Engineering and Optimization (PEOCO), Langkawi, Malaysia, 3–4 June (2013)Google Scholar
- 20.J. Sanam, S. Ganguly, Impact of distribution STATCOM allocation on radial distribution networks, in Proceedings of International Conference on Energy, Power and Environment: Towards Sustainable Growth (ICEPE), Shillong, India, 12–13 June (2015)Google Scholar
- 21.T. Yuvaraj, K. Ravi, K.R. Devabalaji, Appropriate allocation of DG and RD-STATCOM in radial distribution system using cuckoo search optimization algorithm. Model. Simul. Eng. 2017(2857926), 1–11 (2017)Google Scholar
- 24.M. Gavrilas, Heuristic and metaheuristic optimization techniques with application to power systems, in Proceedings of the WSEAS International Conference on Mathematical Methods and Computational Techniques in Electrical Engineering (Politehnica University of Timisoara, Romania, 2010), pp. 21–23Google Scholar