Studies on Direct Torque Control-Based Speed Control of Three-Phase Squirrel-Cage Induction Motor
Direct torque control (DTC) is the simplest method meant for torque control of a three-phase induction motor. The present study emphasizes speed control by using an external speed loop with DTC controller. The variable torque command is generated from the speed loop using a conventional PI controller which has been implemented in experimental work to validate the simulation results. A fuzzy rule-based speed controller has been developed in this study for comparison purpose. The speed response is faster using conventional PI controller, but fuzzy controller minimizes the ripple content in torque. The design of the speed controller has been made economical by using low-cost discrete electronic hardware components.
KeywordsDirect torque control (DTC) PI controller Fuzzy PI controller
The authors acknowledge with thanks the support received from ‘AICTE, New Delhi,’ for conducting the experimental research work on development of this prototype analog DTC controller.
- 6.T.Y. Abdalla, H.A. Hairik, A.M. Dakhil, Direct torque control system for a three phase induction motor with fuzzy logic based speed controller. In 1st International Conference on Energy, Power and Control (2010), pp. 131–138Google Scholar
- 7.T. Ramesh, A.K. Panda, Y. Suresh, S. Mikkili, Direct flux and torque control of induction motor drive for speed regulator using PI and fuzzy logic controllers. In IEEE-International Conference on Advances in Engineering, Science and Management (ICAESM-2012), March 30, 31, 2012 (2012), pp. 288–295Google Scholar
- 8.B.P. Panigrahi, D. Prasad, S. SenGupta, Digital simulation and PC based implementation of switching table based direct torque control of induction motor drive. In: Conference, IIT Kharagpur, Dec 22–24, 2005 (2005), pp. 1–6Google Scholar
- 11.P.R. Tripathy, B.P. Panigrahi, Simulation study on DTC based induction motor drives using MATLAB. IEEE Proc. INDICON 1, 65–68 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.P.R. Tripathy, B.P. Panigrahi, Simulation studies on switching table based DTC and fuzzy rule based DTC for three-phase squirrel cage induction motor. Eng. Technol. Appl. Sci. Res. 2(1), 162–166 (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.P.R. Tripathy, B.P. Panigrahi, Study of direct torque controlled 3-phase SCIM with two and three-level inverters using ST-DTC and FR-DTC scheme. Eng. Technol. Appl. Sci. Res. 5(1), 748–752 (2015)Google Scholar