Assimilation of INSAT-3D Satellite Data in WRF Model
- 25 Downloads
The three-dimensional variational data assimilation system of the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) model is used in this study to assimilate the INSAT-3D temperature and specific humidity profiles over west coast of India, Mumbai, during 0000 UTC of 11–12 July 2016. The analysis obtained after assimilation is compared with the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) analysis. After ECMWF assimilation, the results of the rainfall predictions show improvement over the Indian region. Overall, the assimilation of INSAT-3D is compared with ECMWF analysis, which shows quite good improvement in temperature and humidity analysis. Positive improvements are noticed in 24-h WRF model-predicted rainfall on assimilation of INSAT-3D thermodynamic profiles over west coast of India, Mumbai.
KeywordsAssimilation INSAT-3D WRF model Forecast Temperature Humidity Rainfall
The analysed global and forecast data provided by the NCAR are duly acknowledged with sincere thanks. Authors also like to thank MOSDAC at Space Application Centre, Ahmedabad, for the satellite (INSAT-3D) data. Both the authors are grateful to SVNIT for financial support for this research work.
- 4.Skamarock WC, Klemp JB, Dudhia J, Gill DO, Barker DM, Wang W, Powers JG (2005) A description of the advanced research WRF version 2. Technical report DTIC documentGoogle Scholar
- 5.Rakesh V, Goswami P (2011) Impact of background error statistics on forecasting of tropical cyclones over the north Indian Ocean. J Geophys Res Atmos 116(D20130):1–21Google Scholar
- 12.Barker DM, Huang W, Guo YR, Bourgeois A (2003) A three-dimensional variational (3DVAR) data assimilation system for use with MM5. NCAR Tech Note. https://doi.org/10.5065/D6CF9N1J
- 19.Global forecast system. https://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/data/gfsanl/. Accessed 21 Nov 2016
- 20.European Centre for medium-range weather forecasts: surface. https://apps.ecmwf.int/datasets/data/interim-full-daily/levtype=sfc/. Accessed 25 Nov 2016
- 21.European Centre for medium-range weather forecasts: pressure levels. https://apps.ecmwf.int/datasets/data/interim-full-daily/levtype=pl/. Accessed 25 Nov 2016
- 22.Berrisford P, Dee D, Poli P, Brugge R, Fielding K, Fuentes M, Kallberg P, Kobayashi S, Uppala S, Simmons A (2011) The ERA-interim archive, version 2.0. ECMWFGoogle Scholar
- 23.Global satellite mapping of precipitation. ftp://hokusai.eorc.jaxa.jp/standard/. Accessed 28 Nov 2016