Effect of Silver Impregnation on Efficiency of ZnO for Photocatalytic Degradation of Eosin Y
- 171 Downloads
The photocatalytic degradation of Eosin Y, a xanthenes dye has been investigated under visible light irradiation in the presence of aqueous suspension of ZnO and silver impregnated ZnO at various conditions. ZnO was impregnated with Ag of varying concentrations such as 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 at.% and the samples were calcined at various temperatures for 2 h. The catalyst was characterized by XRD, SEM and UV–Visible diffuse reflectance spectroscopic studies. The photocatalytic activity of ZnO was found to be enhanced by silver impregnation and 1 at.% of silver impregnated ZnO has high photocatalytic activity. Calcinations of samples at higher temperature decreased the photocatalytic activity. Effect of various parameters such as catalyst loading, initial concentration of dye and pH of the solution on dye degradation was also studied. The kinetics of dye degradation showed that the data were well fitted to pseudo-first order kinetic model.
KeywordsPhotocatalysis Silver impregnated ZnO Eosin Y Dye degradation Textile effluents
The authors thank the UGC Networking program, University of Hyderabad, India for providing instrumental facility to carry out XRD and SEM analyses.
- 1.Reife A, Fremann HS (1996) Environmental chemistry of dyes and pigments. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 11.Ollis DF, Al-Ekabi H (1993) Photocatalytic purification and treatment of water and air. Elsevier Science, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- 19.Carson FL (1997) Histology. A self-instructional text. ASCP Press, ChicagoGoogle Scholar
- 20.Culling CF, Allison RT, Barr WT (1985) Cellular pathology techniques. Butterworths–Heinemenn, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 21.Lynn G, Sansone EB (1994) Destruction of hazardous chemicals in the laboratory. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 22.Sax NI (1992) Dangerous properties of industrial materials. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 33.Ozkan A, Ozkan MH, Gurkan R, Akcay M, Sokmen M (2004) Photocatalytic degradation of textile azo dye, sirius gelb GC on TiO2 or Ag-TiO2 particles in the absence and presence of UV irradiation: the effect of some inorganic anions on the photocatalysis. J Photochem Photobiol A 163:29–35. doi: 10.1016/s1010-6030(03)00426-x CrossRefGoogle Scholar