Recent research trend in cell and drug delivery system for type 1 diabetes treatment
- 183 Downloads
This review article summarizes the recent research trends for the treatment of type 1 diabetes (T1D) based on islets transplantation and drug delivery system. The research concerns ongoing development and future suggestions in T1D treatment with their limitations. T1D is one of the representative chronic disease causing human death with hypoglycemia and ketoacidosis. As the T1D incidence rate and market size increase, the need for T1D treatment is growing worldwide. Islets transplantation and drug delivery system with or without insulin have shown the potentials for effective T1D treatment. This review discusses various recent methods for islets transplantation derived from human stem cells or animal tissue. In addition to cell transplantation methods, islet transplantation with other cells or biomaterials that can deliver insulin or non-insulin drugs simultaneously are discussed. There are several limitations in the use of conventional islet and drug delivery system based on insulin and non-insulin for T1D treatment. This manuscript reviews the recent research results based on limelight research subjects about T1D treatment and their limitations.
KeywordsType 1 diabetes Islet transplantation Drug delivery Biomaterials
This research was also by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by Ministry of Science, ICT & Future Planning (NRF-2015R1C1A1A01055224).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of the interest
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interests regarding the publication of this paper.
Statement of human and animal rights
This article is review paper, containing other studies with human and animal subjects performed by other authors.
- AbdulRasoul MM, Mousa M, Al-Mahdi M, Al-Sanaa H, Al-AbdulRazzaq D, Al-Kandari H (2015) A comparison of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion vs. multiple daily insulin injection in children with type I diabetes in Kuwait: glycemic control, insulin requirement, and BMI. Oman Med J 30(5):336–343Google Scholar
- Buitinga M, Portalska KJ, Cornelissen DJ, Plass J, Hanegraaf M, Carlotti F, de Koning E, Engelse M, van Blitterswijk C, Karperien M, van Apeldoorn A, de Boer J (2016) Coculturing human islets with proangiogenic support cells to improve islet revascularization at the subcutaneous transplantation site. Tissue Eng Part A 22(3–4):375–385PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Businova P, Prasek J, Chomoucka J, Drbohlavova J, Pekarek J, Hrdy R, Hubalek J (2012) Voltammetric sensor for direct insulin detection. Procedia Eng 47:1235–1238Google Scholar
- Charvat H, Goto A, Goto M, Inoue M, Heianza Y, Arase Y, Sone H, Nakagami T, Song X, Qiao Q, Tuomilehto J, Tsugane S, Noda M, Inoue M (2015) Impact of population aging on trends in diabetes prevalence: a meta-regression analysis of 160,000 Japanese adults. J Diabetes Investig 6(5):533–542PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Chen XC, Liu H, Li H, Cheng Y, Yang L, Liu YF (2016) In vitro expansion and differentiation of rat pancreatic duct-derived stem cells into insulin secreting cells using a dynamic three-dimensional cell culture system. Genet Mol Res 15(2). https://doi.org/10.4238/gmr.15028808
- Famulla S, Pieber TR, Eilbracht J, Neubacher D, Soleymanlou N, Woerle HJ, Broedl UC, Kaspers S (2017) Glucose exposure and variability with empagliflozin as adjunct to insulin in patients with type 1 diabetes: continuous glucose monitoring data from a 4-week, randomized, placebo-controlled trial (EASE-1). Diabetes Technol Ther 19(1):49–60PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hering BJ, Clarke WR, Bridges ND, Eggerman TL, Alejandro R, Bellin MD, Chaloner K, Czarniecki CW, Goldstein JS, Hunsicker LG, Kaufman DB, Korsgren O, Larsen CP, Luo XR, Markmann JF, Naji A, Oberholzer J, Posselt AM, Rickerls MR, Ricordi C, Robien MA, Senior PA, Shapiro AMJ, Stock PG, Turgeon NAH, Kaufman DB (2016) Phase 3 trial of transplantation of human islets in type 1 diabetes complicated by severe hypoglycemia. Diabetes Care 39(7):1230–1240PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kumar M, Nandi SK, Kaplan DL, Mandal B (2017) Localized Immunomodulatory silk macrocapsules for Islet-like spheroid formation and sustained insulin production. ACS Biomater Sci Eng 3(10):2443–2456Google Scholar
- Madalageri NK, Nagaraj L, Nidamarthi SB (2016) Evaluation and comparative study of hypoglycaemic activity of morus alba with oral hypoglycaemic drug (Glibenclamide) in alloxan induced diabetic rats. J Evol Med Dent Sci 5(48):3062–3065Google Scholar
- Mitutsova V, Yeo WWY, Davaze R, Franckhauser C, Hani EH, Abdullah S, Mollard P, Shaeffer M, Fernandez A, Lamb NJ (2017) Adult muscle-derived stem cells engraft and differentiate into insulin-expressing cells in pancreatic islets of diabetic mice. Stem Cell Res Ther 8(1):86PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Pathak S, Regmi S, Gupta B, Poudel BK, Pham TT, Kim JR, Park PH, Yong CS, Kim JO, Bae YK, Kim SK, Jeong JH (2016) Hybrid congregation of islet single cells and curcumin-loaded polymeric microspheres as an interventional strategy to overcome apoptosis associated with pancreatic islets transplantation. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 8(39):25702–25713PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pickup J (2014) Insulin pumps. Diabetes Technol Ther 16(S1):S-17–S-22Google Scholar
- Sabek OM (2016) Advancing islet transplantation: from donor to engraftment. In: The immune response to implanted materials and devices. Springer, New York, pp 189–211Google Scholar
- Thompson DM, Meloche M, Ao Z, Paty B, Keown P, Shapiro RJ, Ho S, Worsley D, Fung M, Meneilly G, Begg l, Al Mehthel M, Kondi J, Harris C, Fensom B, Kozak SE, Tong SO, Trinh M, Warnock GL (2011) Reduced progression of diabetic microvascular complications with islet cell transplantation compared with intensive medical therapy. Transplantation 91(3):373–378PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Vegas AJ, Veiseh O, Gürtler M, Millman JR, Pagliuca FW, Bader AR, Doloff JC, Li J, Chen M, Olejnik K, Tam HH, Jhunjhunwala S, Grandham S, Mcgarrigle JJ, Bochenek MA, Hollister-Lock J, Oberholzer J, Greiner DL, Weir GC, Melton DA, Langer R, Anderson DG (2016) Long-term glycemic control using polymer-encapsulated human stem cell-derived beta cells in immune-competent mice. Nat Med 22(3):306–311PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Warnock GL, Thompson DM, Meloche RM, Shapiro RJ, Ao Z, Keown P, Johnson JD, Verchere CB, Partovi N, Begg lS, Fung M, Kozak SE, Tong SO, Alghofili KM, Harris C (2008) A multi-year analysis of islet transplantation compared with intensive medical therapy on progression of complications in type 1 diabetes. Transplantation 86(12):1762–1766PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Weinstock RS, Xing DY, Maahs DM, Michels A, Rickels MR, Peters AL, Bergenstal RM, Harris B, DuBose SN, Miller KM, Beck RW (2013) Severe hypoglycemia and diabetic ketoacidosis in adults with type 1 diabetes: results from the T1D exchange clinic registry. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98(8):3411–3419PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Xiao RZ, Zeng ZW, Zhou GL, Wang JJ, Li FZ, Wang AM (2010) Recent advances in PEG–PLA block copolymer nanoparticles. Int J Nanomed 5:1057–1065Google Scholar
- Xie J, Lu Y, Wang W, Zhu H, Wang Z, Cao Z (2017) Simple protein modification using zwitterionic polymer to mitigate the bioactivity loss of conjugated insulin. Adv Healthc Mater 6(11):1601428Google Scholar
- Yoshimatsu G, Sakata N, Tsuchiya H, Minowa T, Takemura T, Morita H, Hata T, Fukase M, Aoki T, Ishida M, Motoi F, Naitoh T, Katayose Y, Egawa S, Unno M (2015) The co-transplantation of bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells reduced inflammation in intramuscular islet transplantation. PLoS ONE 10(2):e0117561PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar