An unusual case of post-trauma polymicrobial cutaneous diphtheria
- 134 Downloads
We report a rare case of post-traumatic cutaneous diphtheria in a patient referred from a hospital in rural India. The diagnosis of cutaneous diphtheria was confirmed by the isolation of Corynebacterium diphtheriae cultured from the ulcer of the leg, along with Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pyogenes, and Arcanobacterium haemolyticum. The patient was kept on isolation and treated with erythromycin for 14 days without antitoxin. He was discharged when his subsequent cultures turned out to be negative. Chemoprophylaxis was also given to his family members. Such a case highlights the revisiting of vaccination strategies and the role of cutaneous carriers in transmission of this deadly disease.
KeywordsCorynebacterium diphtheria Cutaneous diphtheria Road traffic accident (RTA) Chemoprophylaxis MALDI-TOF MS
This work did not require any external funding.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
A written consent was obtained from the patient for publication.
- 1.Surveillance Manual|Diphtheria|Vaccine Preventable Diseases|CDC [Internet]. 2018. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/surv-manual/chpt01-dip.html. Accessed 25 Oct 2018.
- 3.Abdul Rahim NR, Koehler AP, Shaw DD, Graham CR. Toxigenic cutaneous diphtheria in a returned traveller. Commun Dis Intell Q Rep. 2014;38:E298–300.Google Scholar
- 4.Clarke K. Review of the epidemiology of diphtheria 2000–2016. World Health Organisation, Geneva. 2017.Google Scholar
- 5.Sangal L, Joshi S, Anandan S, Balaji V, Johnson J, Satapathy A, et al. Resurgence of diphtheria in North Kerala, India, 2016: laboratory supported case-based surveillance outcomes. Front Public Health [Internet]. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5582196/.
- 12.Bennett JE, Dolin R, Blaser MJ Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett’s principles and practice of infectious … Google Books [Internet]. https://books.google.co.in/books?id=73pYBAAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=mandell+8th+edition&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjs34y6id7eAhXPTn0KHXr4C-4Q6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q=mandell%208th%20edition&f=false. Accessed 18 Nov 2018
- 13.ICMR_NITM_ROY_Policy_Brief_Diptheria_Final_2017.pdf [Internet]. https://www.icmr.nic.in/sites/default/files/policy_brief/ICMR_NITM_ROY_Policy_Brief_Diptheria_Final_2017.pdf. Accessed 10 Feb 2019.