Fecal microbiota transplantation in a kidney transplant recipient with recurrent urinary tract infection
We report on a kidney transplant recipient treated with fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) for recurrent urinary tract infections.
FMT was administered via frozen capsulized microbiota. Before and after FMT, urinary, fecal and vaginal microbiota compositions were analyzed.
The patient remained without symptoms after FMT.
Underlying mechanisms of action need to be addressed in depth by future research.
KeywordsRecurrent urinary tract infection Fecal microbiota transplantation Urinary microbiome Non-antibiotic prophylaxis
We thank the patient for provision of clinical data and Anastasia Tsakmaklis and Fabiola Sack for excellent laboratory support.
This work was supported by the German Research Foundation (DFG) [BI 1899/1-1].
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
LMB has received lecture honoraria from Astellas and Merck/MSD, and travel grants from 3M and Gilead. MJGTV reports grants and personal fees from Astellas Pharma, Merck/MSD, Gilead Sciences, Berlin Chemie, Falk Foundation, Organobalance, Pfizer, and grants from Astellas Pharma, Merck/MSD, Seres Therapeutics, DaVolterra. All other authors: none to declare.
- 3.Stapleton AE, Au-Yeung M, Hooton TM, Fredricks DN, Roberts PL, Czaja CA, et al. Randomized, placebo-controlled phase 2 trial of a Lactobacillus crispatus probiotic given intravaginally for prevention of recurrent urinary tract infection. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;52:1212–7. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cir183.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 6.Illumina. 16S Sample Preparation Guide. Illumina. 2016. http://www.illumina.com/content/dam/illumina-support/documents/documentation/chemistry_documentation/16s/16s-metagenomic-library-prep-guide-15044223-b.pdf. Accessed 27 Sept 2016.
- 7.Callahan BJ, McMurdie PJ, Rosen MJ, Han AW, Johnson AJA, Holmes SP. DADA2: High-resolution sample inference from Illumina amplicon data. Nat Methods. 2016;13:581. https://doi.org/10.1038/nmeth.3869. https://www.nature.com/articles/nmeth.3869#supplementary-information.
- 8.R Core Team. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. 3.2.5 ed. Vienna: R Foundation for Statistical Computing; 2016.Google Scholar
- 9.Tacke D, Wisplinghoff H, Kretzschmar A, Farowski F, Koehler P, Herweg J, et al. First implementation of frozen, capsulized faecal microbiota transplantation for recurrent Clostridium difficile infection into clinical practice in Europe. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2015;21:e82–4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmi.2015.06.027.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.den Heijer CD, Beerepoot MA, Prins JM, Geerlings SE, Stobberingh EE. Determinants of antimicrobial resistance in Escherichia coli strains isolated from faeces and urine of women with recurrent urinary tract infections. PLoS One. 2012;7:e49909. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0049909.CrossRefGoogle Scholar