An outbreak of tick-borne encephalitis associated with raw goat milk and cheese consumption, Croatia, 2015
- 543 Downloads
The aim of this report is to emphasize the risk of acquiring TBE by the consumption of raw milk and dairy products. In April–May 2015, we registered the first outbreak of tick-borne encephalitis in Croatia in seven members out of ten exposed persons who consumed raw goat milk or cheese from the same supplier. Infection was confirmed by TBEV enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) in all patients. None had been vaccinated nor had observed a tick bite.
KeywordsTick-borne encephalitis virus Foodborne Outbreak Goat Milk Cheese
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- 4.Aleraj B. Infectious diseases in Croatia in 2009. Croat J Infect. 2010;30:167–75.Google Scholar
- 5.Croatian Institute of Public Health. Registry of infectious diseases. Zagreb: Epidemiology Service of the Croatian Institute of Public Health; 2015.Google Scholar
- 6.European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC). Epidemiological situation of tick-borne encephalitis in the European Union and European Free Trade Association countries. Stockholm: ECDC; 2012.Google Scholar
- 7.European Food Safety Authority (EFSA). Scientific Opinion on the public health risks related to the consumption of raw drinking milk EFSA Panel on Biological Hazards (BIOHAZ)2,3. EFSA Journal. 2015; 13:3940.Google Scholar
- 13.Commission Implementing Decision 2012/506/EU of 8 August 2012 amending Decision 2002/253/EC laying down case definitions for reporting communicable diseases to the Community network under Decision No 2119/98/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council; OJ L 262, 27.9.2012, p. 1–57.Google Scholar
- 14.Holzmann H. Diagnosis of tick-borne encephalitis. Vaccine 2003; Apr 1;21 Suppl 1:S36-40.Google Scholar
- 16.Mišić-Majerus L, Đaković-Rode O, Ružić-Sabljić E. Postencephalitic syndrome in patients with tick-borne encephalitis. Acta Med Croat. 2009;63:269–78.Google Scholar