Decontamination of cadmium from aqueous solutions using zeolite decorated by Fe3O4 nanoparticles: adsorption modeling and thermodynamic studies
- 18 Downloads
Release and dispersion of toxic substances like heavy metals in environment have adverse effects on human health and other living organisms. Therefore, contaminant removal prior to discharging them into environmental is so crucial. This study aimed to investigate the efficiency of magnetic Fe3O4 nanoparticles coated with natural clinoptilolite zeolite (Fe3O4@Z) for cadmium removal from aqueous solution. In this study, the effect of operational parameters such as pH, contact time, nanocomposite dosages, initial cadmium concentration, and temperature on cadmium adsorption was investigated. In addition, adsorption equilibrium, kinetics, modeling, and thermodynamic parameters were analyzed. Maximum cadmium adsorption was observed at pH = 6 and the contact time of 60 min. By increasing the adsorbent dosage from 0.2 to 1 g/L, removal efficiency increased from 24.4.1 to 68.9% for 20 mg/L Cd concentration. Also, Cd removal followed Freundlich isotherm with R2 = 0.997 and pseudo-second-order kinetic model with R2 = 0.992. Modeling showed that reciprocal quadratic (R2 = 0.9594), rational function (R2 = 0.9996), and polynomial fit (R2 = 0.9990) models represented the best fitness for changes of cadmium removal efficiency with changes of pH, adsorbent dose, and concentration, respectively. Based on the obtained results, Fe3O4@Z nanocomposite could be applied as an efficient adsorbent for cadmium removal from aquatic environments.
KeywordsAdsorption Cadmium Fe3O4@Z nanocomposite Thermodynamics Isotherm Modeling
This work was supported by Student Research Committee, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences (Grant No. ETRC- 94S120).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Giwa A, Bello I, Oladipo M, Adeoye D (2013) Removal of cadmium from waste-water by adsorption using the husk of melon (Citrullus lanatus) Seed. Int J Basic Appl Sci 2:110–123Google Scholar
- Jahangirian H, Ismail MHS, Haron MJ, Rafiee-Moghaddam R, Shameli K, Hosseini S, Kalantari K, Khandanlou R, Gharibshahi E, Soltaninejad S (2013) Synthesis and characterization of Zeolite/Fe3O4 nanocomposite by green quick precipitation method. Dig J Nanomater Biostruct 4:4Google Scholar
- Murkani M, Nasrollahi M, Ravanbakhsh M, Bahrami P, Jaafarzadeh Haghighi Fard N (2015) Evaluation of natural zeolite clinoptilolite efficiency for the removal of ammonium and nitrate from aquatic solutions. Environ Health Eng Manage 2(1):17–22Google Scholar
- Poinern GEJ, Brundavanam S, Tripathy SK, Suar M, Fawcett D (2016) Kinetic and adsorption behaviour of aqueous cadmium using a 30 nm hydroxyapatite based powder synthesized via a combined ultrasound and microwave based technique. Phys Chem 6:11–22Google Scholar
- Raji C, Anirudha T (1997) Chromium (VI) adsorption by sawdust carbon: kinetics and equilibrium. India J Chem Technol 4:228–236Google Scholar
- Tesi GO (2014) Sorption and desorption studies on toxic metals from brewery effluent using eggshell as adsorbent. Adv Nat Sci 7:15–24Google Scholar
- Zoleikani L, Issazadeh H, Zarenezhad B (2015) Preparation of new conductive polymer nanocomposites for cadmium removal from industrial wastewaters. J Chem Technol Metall 50:71–80Google Scholar