Rapid on-line solid phase enrichment using polytetrafluoroethylene beads for chromium speciation in contaminated real water samples
- 71 Downloads
Due to unchecked disposal of industrial wastes into surrounding areas, the pollution of water bodies with heavy metal toxicants has become an environmental menace. The toxicity of chromium species depends on its oxidation states, and thus regular monitoring of environmental water sources vulnerable to pollution is a must. In this regard, an on-line method for chromium speciation and determination using FAAS has been proposed. The flow-injection preconcentration mini-column containing polytetrafluoroethylene beads was used as the solid phase extractant, and chromium speciation was done by complexing Cr(III) and Cr(VI) with thiosemicarbazide chelating agent. The figures of merit for Cr(III) and Cr(VI) obtained were 61 and 56 (preconcentration factors); 0.13 and 0.14 µg L−1 (detection limits); 1.6 and 1.3% (R.S.D.). The optimized method for chromium speciation was successfully applied to industrial and Yamuna River water samples. The method validation was carried out using SRM 1640a (Trace Elements in Natural Water, NIST), and recovery > 95% was obtained.
KeywordsFlame atomic absorption spectrometry Flow-injection Hyphenated system Preconcentration Solid phase extraction Thiosemicarbazide
The authors are thankful to the SERB Project No. SR/S1/IC/64-2012, Department of Science and Technology (DST), New Delhi, India for financial assistance.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Saxena R, Meena PL (2014) Flow injection on-line preconcentration of trace zinc(ii) ions in water samples using a synthesized 8-hydroxyquinoline functionalized amberlite XAD-2 resin and determination by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. At Spectrosc 35(4):154–162Google Scholar
- Saxena R, Saxena S, Sarojam P (2012) Determination of lead in water using amberlite XAD-2 functionalized with xylenol orange resin as column material for on-line flow injection-flame atomic absorption spectrometry analysis. At Spectrosc 33(3):83–91Google Scholar
- Tarley CRT, Lima GF, Nascimento DR, Assis ARS, Ribeiro ES, Diniz KM, Bezerra MA, Segatelli MG (2012) Novel on-line sequential preconcentration of Cr(III) and Cr(VI) hyphenated with flame atomic absorption spectrometry exploiting sorbents based on chemically modified silica. Talanta 100:71–79CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tiwari S, Sharma N, Saxena R (2015) A review on application of hyphenated flow injection system for determination of heavy metal ions in water samples. Int J Adv Technol Eng Sci 3(1):692–702Google Scholar
- Wang Z-H, Zhang Z-P, Wang Z-P, Liu L-W, Yan X-P (2004) Acrylic acid grafted polytetrafluoroethylene fiber as new packing for flow injection on-line microcolumn preconcentration coupled with flame atomic absorption spectrometry for determination of lead and cadmium in environmental and biological samples. Anal Chim Acta 514:151–157CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- World Health Organization (2011) Guidelines for drinking-water quality. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241548151_eng.pdf. Accessed 29 March 2017