Co-precipitation synthesis of ZnO–TiO2 nanostructure composites for arsenic photodegradation from industrial wastewater
- 129 Downloads
In present work, controlled TiO2–ZnO ratio nanostructure composite powders synthesized via co-precipitation method from zinc acetate and titanium tetrachloride as starting materials were obtained. Samples with different Ti/Zn precursor ratios were prepared for the study. Photocatalytic activities of the particles were evaluated under UV and visible light sources, using both arsenic-laced solution and industrial copper smelting wastewater. Results generally show that nanopowder composites are formed. Samples with Ti/Zn precursor ratio of 90:10 and 50:50 showed considerable photocatalytic activities leading to up to 90% arsenic degradation under UV and visible light irradiation; however, compared experientially made a solution in the laboratory, the industrial wastewaters resulted in less arsenic photodegradation.
KeywordsArsenic removal Industrial wastewater Photocatalytic process ZnO–TiO2 composite Nanostructure
The authors acknowledge Dr. Reza Naseh from National Iranian Copper Industries Co. (NICICO) for his kind industrial comments. Also, the authors acknowledge Dr. Davod Mohebbi-Kalhori for proofreading the manuscript.
- Bissen M, Frimmel FH (2003) Arsenic—a review, Part I: occurrence, toxicity, speciation, mobility. CLEAN Soil Air Water 31:9–18Google Scholar
- Environment and Public Health Organization (2016) Arsenic Removal Technologies. http://www.sswm.info/content/arsenic-removal-technologies. Accessed 12 April 2016
- Jahangiri-rad M (2014) Removal of arsenic from aqueous solution by photocatalytic UV irradiation. Eur Sci J 2:1857–7881Google Scholar
- Majumder A, Chaudhuri M (2005) Solar photocatalytic oxidation and removal of arsenic from ground water. Indian J Eng Mater Sci 12:122–128Google Scholar
- Nasr-Esfahani M, Montazerozohori M, Abdi K (2009) Photocatalytic oxidation of dihydropyrimidinones using titanium dioxide suspension. Ark Arch Org Chem 10:255–264Google Scholar
- Wang R, Hashimoto K, Fujishima A, Chikuni M, Kojima E, Kitamura A (1997) Light-induced amphiphilic surfaces. Nat Int Wkly J Sci 388:431–432Google Scholar
- Zaharieva K, Milenova K, Cherkezova-Zheleva Z, Kunev B, Dimova S, Mitov I (2014) Physicochemical and photocatalytic investigation of mechanochemically treated TiO2–ZnO composites. J Int Sci Publ 8:250–258Google Scholar