Description of a New Species of Neoadoxoplatys and Immature Stages of Neoadoxoplatys saileri Kormilev (Heteroptera: Pentatomidae) Associated with Bamboo
Neoadoxoplatys thomasi is described as a new species from Mexico and Venezuela. The immature stages of Neoadoxoplatys saileri Kormilev are presented for the first time. Immature stages are described and illustrated, some bamboo species of Guadua are recorded as hosts, distributional records in Mexico are also included; scanning electron micrographs of the eggs of N. saileri are provided. A key to separate the four known species of Neoadoxoplatys is included.
KeywordsEggs life cycle Mexico Venezuela
We thank Eduardo Ruiz and Teresa Mejia from Instituto de Ecologia, A.C. for identifying the bamboo species. Our gratitude goes to Pablo Alejandro Rios Berriel from Escuela Nacional de Artes Plasticas, UNAM for drawing the different instars of N. saileri and the adult of N. thomasi. We also thank Tiburcio Laez from Instituto de Ecologia, A. C. for taking the scanning electron images of the egg of N. saileri. Finally, we are in complete gratitude with Donald Thomas from USDA for all his help while studying Mexican Pentatomids. Financial support to collect some of the specimens was granted by a strategic project of Instituto de Ecologia, A.C.
- Couturier G, Kahn F (1992) Notes on the insect fauna on two species of Astrocaryum (Palmae, Cocoeae, Bactridinae) in Peruvian Amazon, with emphasis on potential pests of cultivated palms. Bull Inst Fr Etu Andines 21(2):715–725Google Scholar
- Eberhard WG (1975) The ecology and behavior of a subsocial pentatomid bug and two scelionid wasps: strategy and counterstrategy in a host and its parasites. Smithson Contrib Zool 205:1–39Google Scholar
- Jones WA (1993) New Host and habitat associations for some Arizona Pentatomoidea and Coreidae. Southwest Entomol 16:1–29Google Scholar
- Kormilev NA (1956) Notas sobre Pentatomoidea Neotropicales V (Hemiptera). Acta Sci Inst Invest San Miguel 4:3–7Google Scholar
- Ortega GL (2001) Estadios ninfales de Antiteuchus innocens (Hemiptera: Heteroptera: Pentatomidae: Discocephalinae: Discocephalini) recolectados en Persea americana (Lauraceae). An Inst Biol Univ Nac Aut Mex Ser Zool 72(2):199–207Google Scholar
- Rolston LH (1992) Key and diagnoses for the genera of Ochlerini (Hemiptera: Pentatomidae: Discocephalinae). J N Y Entomol Soc 100(1):1–41Google Scholar
- Ruckes H (1958) Four new species of Neotropical Pentatomids (Heteroptera, Pentatomidae). J N Y Entomol Soc 66(3–4):145–152Google Scholar
- Thomas DB (2000) Pentatomidae (Hemiptera). In: Llorente JE, Gonzalez E, Papavero N (eds) Biodiversidad,taxonomia y biogeografia de artropodos de Mexico: hacia una sintesis de su conocimiento, vol 2. Universidad Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico, pp 335–352Google Scholar