Exome sequencing identifies a novel frameshift variant causing hypomagnesemia with secondary hypocalcemia
Hypomagnesemia with secondary hypocalcemia is a rare autosomal-recessive disorder characterized by intense hypomagnesemia associated with hypocalcemia (HSH). Mutations in the TRPM6 gene, encoding the epithelial Mg2+ channel TRPM6, have been proven to be the molecular cause of this disease. This study identified causal mutations in a 2-month-old male patient of hypomagnesemia from a consanguineous marriage. Biochemical analyses indicated the diagnosis of HSH due to primary gastrointestinal loss of magnesium. Whole exome sequencing of the trio (i.e. proband and both parents) was carried out with mean coverage of > 150×. ANNOVAR was used to annotate functional consequences of genetic variation from exome sequencing data. After variant filtering and annotation, a number of single nucleotide variants (SNVs) and 2 bp deletion at exon26:c.4402_4403delCT in TRPM6 gene were identified. This deletion which resulted in a novel frameshift mutation in exon 26 of this gene was confirmed by Sanger sequencing. With these investigations in hand, the patient was managed with magnesium sulphate. The patient remained asymptomatic and was developmentally and neurologically normal till his last follow up.
KeywordsTRPM6 gene Hypomagnesimia TRPM7 gene Magnesium metabolism
Compliance with ethical standards
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the Independent Ethics Committee, ICCBS, University of Karachi, Karachi, Pakistan (IEC Approval Number ICCBS/IEC-010-SS-2016).
Conflict of interest
The authors have declared that no conflict of interest exists.
- 2.Sanders GT, Hujjgen HJ, Sanders R. Magnesium in disease: a review with special emphasis on the serum ionized magnesium. Clin Chem Lab Med. 1999;37:1011–33.Google Scholar
- 3.Cole DEC, Quamme GA. Inherited disorders of renal magnesium handling. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2000;11:1937–47.Google Scholar
- 7.Chubanov V, Waldegger S, Schnitzler MM, Vitzthum H, Sassen MC, Seyberth HW, Konrad M, Gudermann T. Disruption of TRPM6/TRPM7 complex formation by a mutation in the TRPM6 gene causes hypomagnesemia with secondary hypocalcemia. 2004; 101:2894–99.Google Scholar
- 15.Retterer K, Juusola J, Cho MT, Vitazka P, Millan F, Gibellini F, Vertino-Bell A, Smaoui N, Neidich J, Monaghan KG, McKnight D, Bai R, Suchy S, Friedman B, Tahiliani J, Pineda-Alvarez D, Richard G, Tracy Brandt T, Haverfield E, Chung WK, Bale S. Clinical application of whole-exome sequencing across clinical indications. Genet Med. 2016; 18:696–704.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Schlingmann KP, Sassen MC, Weber S, Pechmann U, Kusch K, Pelken L, Lotan D, Syrrou M, Prebble JJ, Cole DE, Metzger DL, Rahman S, Tajima T, Shu SG, Waldegger S, Seyberth HW, Konrad M. Novel TRPM6 mutations in 21 families with primary hypomagnesemia and secondary hypocalcemia. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005;16:3061–69.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.de Baaij JH. The art of magnesium transport. Magnes Res. 2015;28(3):85–91.Google Scholar