Training Programs on Geriatrics in Rural Areas: a Review
Purpose of Review
To understand the current scope of training in geriatrics in rural areas for rural providers and teams, we reviewed current literature to identify training programs which pertain to geriatric education and training of the rural workforce.
Older adults are one of the fastest growing demographics in the USA and represent a higher share of the population in rural areas than in other counties. Older adults in rural areas often have complex health challenges and may benefit from care from healthcare teams with geriatrics training. However, there is a paucity of geriatrics workforce in the country and particularly in rural areas. Geriatric training programs targeting rural practitioners may serve to bridge this gap through providing training and support to rural teams taking care of older adults in rural areas.
Ten unique programs were identified which described efforts to introduce geriatrics to rural practitioners. Each used different methods of training at a distance, leveraging the use of telecommunications and the internet, or face-to-face training methods alone or in combination with distance training. Improvements in clinician knowledge, skills, and other impacts were described. Current evidence demonstrates that providing training in geriatrics is feasible and may yield positive impacts on rural clinical teams and potential downstream effects on patient care.
KeywordsRural geriatric training programs Rural geriatric workforce Rural geriatrics car
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
Annette Hintenach, Oren Raphael, and William W. Hung declare no conflict of interest.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 1.Eldercare Workforce Alliance. Caring for an aging America: meeting the health care needs of older adults. 2013. http://eldercareworkforce.org/caring-for-an-aging-america-meeting-the-health-care-needs-of-older-adults/. Accessed Dec 2018.
- 2.Institute of Medicine [IOM]. Retooling for an aging America: building the health care workforce. Washington, D.C: The National Academies Press; 2008. https://www.nap.edu/read/12089/chapter/1#xi. Accessed 26 March 2019.
- 3.National Rural Health Association [NRHA]. Elder health in rural America. 2013. https://www.ruralhealthweb.org/getattachment/Advocate/Policy-Documents/ElderHealthinRuralAmericaFeb2013.pdf.aspx. Accessed Dec 2018.
- 5.Office of Rural Health (ORH). Rural veteran health care challenges. U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. 2018. https://www.ruralhealth.va.gov/aboutus/ruralvets.asp. Accessed Dec 2018.
- 6.Bolin JN, Bellamy GR, Ferdinand AO, Vuong AM, Kash BA, Schulze A, et al. Rural healthy people 2020: new decade, same challenges. J Rural Health. 2015;31(3):326–33. https://doi.org/10.1111/jrh.12116.
- 9.Goins RT, Williams KA, Carter MW, Spencer M, Solovieva T. Perceived barriers to health care access among rural older adults: a qualitative study. J Rural Health. 2005;21(3):206–13.Google Scholar
- 10.American Board of Medical Specialties. ABMS Board Certification Report 2017-2018. 2018. https://www.abms.org/media/194885/abms-board-certification-report-2017-2018.pdf. Accessed Dec 2018.
- 12.•• MacQueen IT, Maggard-Gibbons M, Capra G, Raaen L, Ulloa JG, Shekelle PG, et al. Recruiting rural healthcare providers today: a systematic review of training program success and determinants of geographic choices. J Gen Intern Med. 2018;33(2):191–9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-017-4210-z Systematic review on recruitment of rural healthcare providers. Google Scholar
- 13.Schofield DJ, Page SL, Lyle DM, Walker TJ. Ageing of the baby boomer generation: how demographic change will impact on city and rural GP and nursing workforce. Rural Remote Health. 2006;6(4):604.Google Scholar
- 15.Smith JD, White C, Roufeil L, Veitch C, Pont L, Patel B, et al. A national study into the rural and remote pharmacist workforce. Rural Remote Health. 2013;13(2):2214.Google Scholar
- 17.Eley DS, Laurence C, Cloninger CR, Walters L. Who attracts whom to rural general practice? Variation in temperament and character profiles of GP registrars across different vocational training pathways. Rural Remote Health. 2015;15(4):3426.Google Scholar
- 18.Norris TE, Coombs JB, Carline J. An educational needs assessment of rural family physicians. J Am Board Fam Pract. 1996;9(2):86–93.Google Scholar
- 19.Royston PJ, Mathieson K, Leafman J, Ojan-Sheehan O. Medical student characteristics predictive of intent for rural practice. Rural Remote Health. 2012;12:2107.Google Scholar
- 21.Palumbo MV, Bennett DN. Online video conferencing: a promising innovation in interprofessional education. J Allied Health. 2016;45(3):230–3.Google Scholar
- 22.•• Kramer BJ, Creekmur B, Howe JL, Trudeau S, Douglas JR, Garner K, et al. Veterans affairs geriatric scholars program: enhancing existing primary care clinician skills in caring for older veterans. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016;64(11):2343–8. https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.14382 Recent papers on large nationwide scope training programs reaching rural healthcare workforce. Google Scholar
- 23.Office of Rural Health. U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. Rural Promising Practices. 2017. https://www.ruralhealth.va.gov/providers/promising_practices.asp. Accessed 4 April 2019.
- 25.•• Howe JL, Penrod JD, Gottesman E, Bean A, Kramer BJ. The rural interdisciplinary team training program: a workforce development workshop to increase geriatrics knowledge and skills for rural providers. Gerontol Geriatr Educ. 2019;40(1):3–15. https://doi.org/10.1080/02701960.2018.1454917 Recent papers on large nationwide scope training programs reaching rural healthcare workforce. Google Scholar
- 28.Hung WW, Rossi M, Thielke S, Caprio T, Barczi S, Kramer BJ, et al. A multisite geriatric education program for rural providers in the veteran health care system (GRECC-Connect). Gerontol Geriatr Educ. 2014;35(1):23–40. https://doi.org/10.1080/02701960.2013.870902.
- 30.Truong HA, Gorman MJ, East M, Klima DW, Hinderer KA, Hogue GL, et al. The eastern shore collaborative for interprofessional education’s implementation and impact over five years. Am J Pharm Educ. 2018;82(4):6522. https://doi.org/10.5688/ajpe6522.