Photodynamic Therapy and Its Use in Lung Disease
- 7 Downloads
Purpose of Review
Photodynamic therapy is approved in the USA for curative treatment of microinvasive endobronchial non-small cell lung cancer and palliation of symptoms with obstructing endobronchial non-small cell lung cancer. New data support its use with positive margins after surgical resection. Emerging data suggest it is both safe and efficacious for use in the periphery with non-small cell lung cancer.
Several case series have demonstrated its utility with endobronchial disease from small cell lung cancer. Recent studies have examined its use with recurrent respiratory papillomatosis, adenoid cystic carcinoma, and endobronchial typical carcinoid tumor.
As further data are collected, the application of photodynamic therapy for thoracic malignancy will likely continue to expand.
KeywordsPhotodynamic therapy Lung cancer Carcinoid Endobronchial Recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
Adenoid cystic carcinoma
Central airway obstruction
Carcinoma in situ
Human papilloma virus
Karnofsky Performance Score
Modified Medical Research Council
Non-small cell lung cancer
Quality of life
Randomized controlled trial
Recurrent respiratory papillomatosis
Small cell lung cancer
Conception and design, Jonathan Kurman; administrative support, none; provision of study materials or patients, none; collection and assembly of data, none; data analysis and interpretation, all authors; manuscript writing, all authors; final approval of manuscript, all authors.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
SDM is an educational consultant for Pinnacle Biologics. The other authors have no conflicts of interest.
Human and Animal Rights and Informed Consent
This article does not contain any studies with human or animal subjects performed by any of the authors.
Papers of particular interest, published recently, have been highlighted as: • Of importance •• Of major importance
- 5.Suzuki F, Misawa M, Sugimura H, Yamawaki S, Aoshima M. Efficacy of photodynamic therapy combined with a guide sheath method concomitant with chemotherapy in a small-cell lung cancer patient with central endobronchial stenosis. Photodiagnosis Photodyn Ther. 2016;16:169–71.PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 10.E. Profio and K-H Shu “Measurements of singlet oxygen in photodynamic therapy”, Proc. SPIE 1065, Photodynamic therapy: mechanisms, (13 June 1989).Google Scholar
- 20.• Akopov A, Rusanov A, Gerasin A, Kazakov N, Urtenova M, Chistyakov I. Preoperative endobronchial photodynamic therapy improves resectability in initially irresectable (inoperable) locally advanced non small cell lung cancer. Photodiagnosis Photodyn Ther. 2014;11:259–64.PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 21.National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Non-small cell lung cancer (Version 6.2019). https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/nscl.pdf. Accessed September 1, 2019.
- 35.Lieder A, Khan MK, Lippert BM. Photodynamic therapy for recurrent respiratory papillomatosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014;CD009810.Google Scholar