Pastoral Leadership and Congregational Vitality
This research note presents unexpected findings on the role of pastoral leadership styles on congregational vitality. Drawn from a most-similar case study of two mainline congregations, one that has experience growth and vitality the other significant decline, the results indicate that leadership style is an under-studied contributing factor in congregational vitality. The findings demonstrate that pastoral style that is collaborative but decisive, as well as inspiring has a positive impact on congregational vitality; whereas a pastoral style that is more hands-off, seeking to empower lay decision making has a negative impact.
The author would like to thank Steve Pfaff, James Wellman, Anthony Gill, and James Felak for their comments. However, all errors of fact and omission are those of the author.
- Bobbitt, L. 2017. Competing Frameworks: How Theoretical and Theological Frameworks Influence Congregational Renewal Efforts and Color External Evaluations. (M.A.), Luther Seminary, St. Paul, MN. Retrieved from http://digitalcommons.luthersem.edu/ma_theses/38. Accessed 8 July 2018.
- Bouman, Stephen P. 2013. The Mission Table: Renewing Congregation and Community. Minneapolis, MN: Augsburg Fortress.Google Scholar
- Carroll, Jackson W. 2006. God’s Potters: Pastoral Leadership and the Shaping of Congregations. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans Publishing Co.Google Scholar
- Chang, Perry M.Y. 2004. Assessing the Clergy Supply in the 21st Century., Pulpit & Pew Research Reports Durham: Duke Divinity School.Google Scholar
- Chang, Perry M.Y. 2005. Factors Shaping Clergy Careers: A Wakeup Call for Protestant Denominations and Pastors., Pulpit & Pew Research Reports Durham: Duke Divinity School.Google Scholar
- Cormode, S. 2006. Making Spiritual Sense: Christian Leaders as Spiritual Interpreters. Nashville: Abingdon Press.Google Scholar
- Friedman, E.H. 2007. A Failure of Nerve: Leadership in the Age of the Quick Fix. New ed. New York: Seabury Books.Google Scholar
- Gerring, John. 2007. Case Study Research: Principles and Practices. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Heifetz, R.A., and M. Linsky. 2002. Leadership on the Line: Staying Alive through the Dangers of Leadership. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.Google Scholar
- Johnson, Eric B. 2007. How Congregations Experience leadership: Patterns of Leadership Succession in US Presbyterian and Methodist Congregations. In Conference Papers—American Sociological Association.Google Scholar
- Law, E.H.F. 2013. Holy Currencies: Six Blessings for Sustainable Missional Ministries. St. Louis: Chalice Press.Google Scholar
- Steinke, P.L. 2006. Congregational Leadership in Anxious Times: Being Calm and Courageous No Matter What. Herndon: Alban Institute.Google Scholar
- Weber, Max.  1978. Economy and Society. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar