Laboratory role in prostate cancer diagnosis and management: a case report
This case report describes the clinical course of a prostate cancer case, from the first diagnosis until the exitus in four years and it wants to highlight the relevance of the Laboratory in managing this disease. This case report suggests that data provided by the laboratory can help the clinicians during the diagnostic and therapeutic course, allowing a robust disease monitoring and follow-up, compared to radiological or nuclear medicine diagnostic reports.
KeywordsProstate Prostate cancer Prostate specific antigen (PSA) Treatment Monitoring Follow-up
Ruolo del laboratorio nella diagnosi e gestione del cancro alla prostata: un caso clinico
To my grandfather Andrea, for his support and trust during my way in the medical profession.
To Diana Isabel Fanelli, for helping in the linguistic review.
Conflict of interest
Studies carried out on human being and animals
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Written informed consent was obtained from the patient’s family (legal guardian) for publication of this case report and accompanying data.
Andrea Mariano as corresponding author contributed to literature search, to get and prepare figures, data collection and interpretation, and writing the report; all other authors contributed equally to the drafting of the article.
- 1.Bostwick DG, Eble JN (2008) Urological Surgical Pathology, 2nd edn. Mosby-Year Book Publisher, St. Louis, Missuori, USA Google Scholar
- 2.Welch HG, Schwartz LA, Woloshin S (2011) Overdiagnosed: Making People Sick in the Pursuit of Health. Beacon Press, Boston, Massachusetts, USA Google Scholar
- 8.Luzurier A, Jouve De Guibert PH, Allera A et al. (2018) Dynamic contrast-enhanced imaging in localizing local recurrence of prostate cancer after radiotherapy: Limited added value for readers of varying level of experience. J Magn Reson Imaging. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmri.25991 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Petersen LJ, Strandberg J, Stenholt L et al (2018) Reporting and handling of indeterminate bone scan results in the staging of prostate cancer: a systematic review. Diagnostics (Basel) 8:pii E9. https://doi.org/10.3390/diagnostics8010009
- 27.Ohlmann CH, Jäschke M, Jaehnig P et al. (2017) Abiraterone acetate plus LHRH therapy versus abiraterone acetate while sparing LHRH therapy in patients with progressive, metastatic and chemotherapy-naïve, castration-resistant prostate cancer (SPARE): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 18:457 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar