Impacts of climate change on the gross primary production of Italian forests
The impact of climatic change should not be dramatic over Italian forests in terms of GPP, which should increase particularly for evergreen forest types. This positive effect is less marked for deciduous forests. The increasing trend should be reduced by the end of the century for all forest types except mountain conifers because of increasing temperature and decreasing rainfall.
Estimating the spatial and temporal variability of forest gross primary production (GPP) is a major issue of applied ecology, particularly in relation to ongoing and expected climate change.
The current study proposes a methodological framework for analyzing large-scale forest responses to climate change in terms of GPP.
The methodology utilizes the GPP estimates of an NDVI-driven model, C-Fix, to assess the performance of a biogeochemical model, BIOME-BGC. The two models were first applied at 1-km pixel scale in Italy over a period of 15 years (1999–2013). The model outputs, aggregated on annual basis for the main Italian forest types, were inter-compared and analyzed in relation to major meteorological drivers (i.e., temperature and water-limiting factors).
C-Fix and BIOME-BGC responded similarly to these major drivers, which supported the application of BIOME-BGC as a prognostic tool to simulate the GPP during three time slices of the RCP4.5 climate scenario.
The results obtained highlight how the importance of spring temperature and water availability is diversified among the forest types in determining changes of forest GPP all over the Italian peninsula in a future climate.
KeywordsMeteorological factors C-Fix RCP4.5 BIOME-BGC
The authors wish to thank the anonymous AFSC reviewers who provided helpful comments on the first versions of the manuscript.
Statement on data availability
The datasets generated during and/or analyzed during the current study are available from the corresponding author on reasonable request.
L.F. wrote the paper; M.M. wrote the paper and downscaled the RCM dataset; M.C. calibrated BIOME-BGC and analyzed model outputs; M.B. wrote the paper; F.M. calibrated C-Fix and coordinated the work.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interest.
- Battipaglia G, Saurer M, Cherubini P, Calfapietra C, McCarthy HR, Norby RJ, Cotrufo MF (2013) Elevated CO2 increases tree-level intrinsic water use efficiency: insights from carbon and oxygen isotope analyses in tree rings across three forest FACE sites. New Phytol 197:544–554. https://doi.org/10.1111/nph.12044 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Bolle HJ, Eckardt M, Koslowsky D, Maselli F, Melia-Miralles J, Menenti M, Olesen FS, Petkov L, Rasool I, Van de Griend A (2006) Mediterranean land-surface processes assessed from space. Regional Climate Studies, vol. XXVIII. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York p 760 ISBN 3-540-43838-6Google Scholar
- Campbell JL, Rustad LE, Boyer EW, Christopher SF, Driscoll CT, Fernandez IJ, Groffman PM, Houle D, Kiekbusch J, Magill AH, Mitchell MJ, Ollinger SV (2009) Consequences of climate change for biogeochemical cycling in forests of northeastern North America. Can J For Res 39:264–284. https://doi.org/10.1139/X08-104 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chiesi M, Chirici G, Marchetti M, Hasenauer H, Moreno A, Knohl A, Matteucci G, Pilegaard K, Granier A, Longdoz B, Maselli F (2016) Testing the applicability of BIOME-BGC to simulate beech gross primary production in Europe using a new continental weather dataset. Ann For Sci 73(3):713–727. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13595-016-0560-7 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chiesi M, Fibbi L, Tognetti R, Lombardi F, Chirici G, Teobaldelli M, Cherubini P, Maselli F (2017) Assessment of inter-annual forest production variations in Italy by the use of remote sensing and ancillary data. Eur J Remote Sens 50(1):577–587. https://doi.org/10.1080/22797254.2017.1374215 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chirici G, Chiesi M, Corona P, Salvati R, Papale D, Fibbi L, Sirca C, Spano D, Duce P, Marras S, Matteucci G, Cescatti A, Maselli F (2016) Estimating daily forest carbon fluxes using the combination of ground and remotely sensed data. J Geophys Res Biogeosci 121:266–279. https://doi.org/10.1002/2015JG003019 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gea-Izquierdo G, Guibal F, Joffre R, Ourcival JM, Simioni G, Guiot J (2015) Modelling the climatic drivers determining photosynthesis and carbon allocation in evergreen Mediterranean forests using multiproxy long-time series. Biogeosciences 12:3695–3712. https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-12-3695-2015 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Golinkoff J (2010) Biome BGC version 4.2: theoretical framework of Biome-BGC. January, 2010, available online at http://www.ntsg.umt.edu/project/biome-bgc. Accessed online on 22 January 2019
- ISPRA (2010) La realizzazione in Italia del Progetto Corine Land Cover 2006. Istituto Superiore per la Protezione e la Ricerca Ambientale. Volume 131, 50 pp.Google Scholar
- Jacob D, Petersen J, Eggert B, Alias A, Christensen OB, Bouwer LM, Braun A, Colette A, Déqué M, Georgievski G, Georgopoulou E, Gobiet A, Menut L, Nikulin G, Haensler A, Hempelmann N, Jones C, Keuler K, Kovats S, Kröner N, Kotlarski S, Kriegsmann A, Martin E, van Meijgaard E, Moseley C, Pfeifer S, Preuschmann S, Radermacher C, Radtke K, Rechid D, Rounsevell M, Samuelsson P, Somot S, Soussana J-F, Teichmann C, Valentini R, Vautard R, Weber B, Yiou P (2014) EURO-CORDEX: new high-resolution climate change projections for European impact research. Reg Environ Change 14(2):563–578. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10113-013-0499-2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jung M, Le Maire G, Zaehle S, Luyssaert S, Vetter M, Churkina G, Ciais P, Viovy N, Reichstein M (2007) Assessing the ability of three land ecosystem models to simulate gross carbon uptake of forests from boreal to Mediterranean climate in Europe. Biogeosc 4:647–656. https://doi.org/10.5194/bg-4-647-2007 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Maraun D, Widmann M (2018) Statistical downscaling and bias correction in climate research. Cambridge University Press pp. 360. ISBN 1107066050Google Scholar
- Maselli F, Cherubini P, Chiesi M, Gilabert MA, Lombardi F, Moreno A, Teobaldelli M, Tognetti R (2014) Start of the dry season as a main determinant of inter-annual Mediterranean forest production variations. Agric For Meteorol 194:197–206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2014.04.006 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Meinshausen M, Smith SJ, Calvin KV, Daniel JS, Kainuma MLT, Lamarque J-F, Matsumoto K, Montzka SA, Raper SCB, Riahi K, Thomson AM, Velders GJM, van Vuuren D (2011) The RCP greenhouse gas concentrations and their extension from 1765 to 2300. Clim Chang 109:213–241. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10584-011-0156-z CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Norby RJ, De Kauwe MG, Domingues TF, Duursma RA, Ellsworth DA, Goll DS, Lapola DM, Luus KA, MacKenzie AR, Medlyn PR, Rammig A, Smith B, Thomas R, Thonicke K, Walker AP, Yang X, Zaehle S (2016) Model-data synthesis for the next generation of forest free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) experiments. New Phytol 209:17–28. https://doi.org/10.1111/nph.13593 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Reichstein M, Bahn M, Ciais P, Frank D, Mahecha MD, Seneviratne SI, Zscheischler J, Beer C, Buchmann N, Frank DC, Papale D, Rammig A, Smith P, Thonicke K, van der Velde M, Vicca S, Walz A, Wattenbach M (2013) Climate extremes and the carbon cycle. Nature 500:287–295. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature12350 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Thornton PE, Law BE, Gholz HL, Clark KL, Falge E, Ellsworth DS, Goldstein AH, Monson RK, Hollinger D, Falk M, Chen J, Sparks JP (2002) Modelling and measuring the effects of disturbance history and climate on carbon and water budgets in evergreen needleleaf forests. Agric For Meteorol 113:185–222. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1923(02)00108-9 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Trusilova K, Trembath J, Churkina G (2009) Parameter estimation and validation of the terrestrial ecosystem model BIOME-BGC using eddy-covariance flux measurements. Technical Reports—Max-Planck-Institut für Biogeochemie 16, ISSN 1615-7400. Accessed online at https://www.bgc-jena.mpg.de/bgc-systems/pmwiki2/uploads/Publications/16.pdf on 22 January 2019Google Scholar
- Waring HR, Running SW (2007) Forest ecosystems. Analysis at multiples scales, 3rd edn. Academic Press, San Diego ISBN: 978-0-12-370605-8Google Scholar
- Yuan W, Cai W, Xia J, Chen J, Liu S, Dong W, Merbold L, Law B, Arain A, Beringer A, Bernhofer C, Black A, Blanken PD, Cescatti A, Chen Y, Francois L, Gianelle D, Janssens IA, Jung M, Kato T, Kiely G, Liu D, Marcolla B, Montagnani L, Raschi A, Roupsard O, Varlagin A, Wohlfahrt G (2014) Global comparison of light use efficiency models for simulating terrestrial vegetation gross primary production based on the La Thuile database. Agric For Meteorol 192-193:108–120. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.AGRFORMET.2014.03.007 CrossRefGoogle Scholar