Review of pilotage processes and indicators in pilotage organisations
- 286 Downloads
A questionnaire survey was conducted to find out how pilotage organisations in different countries assess and measure the quality, efficiency and safety of their operations. An e-mail survey was sent to 54 pilotage organisations in Australia, Canada, and Western and Northern Europe. All International Standard for Maritime Pilot Organizations (ISPO) members were also included. The survey yielded 13 answers from eight countries. The organisations were questioned about their standards and management systems, standard operating procedures and measuring tools. According to the query, most of the pilotage organisations use standard-based management systems such as ISO 9001 or the ISPO. The main measuring tools for pilotage comprise of statistical information concerning pilotage and the organisations, customer feedback surveys and financial results. The results of the survey were used as a guideline for developing a pilotage process model and indicators for measuring the effectiveness and quality of the pilotage process for the Finnish pilotage company Finnpilot Pilotage Ltd.
KeywordsPilotage Pilotage organisations Pilotage process Indicators
The e-mail survey was carried out as a part of a research project called Effectiveness of Pilotage that was supported by Finnpilot Pilotage Ltd. We would like to thank all the participating pilotage organisations for participating in our survey and sharing their insight.
- Brisbane Marine Pilots. 2011. Safety. http://www.brisbanepilots.com.au/safetyenvironment.php. Accessed 25 August 2011.
- Davenport TH (1993) Innovation: reengineering work through information technology. Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MAGoogle Scholar
- Drouin, P. and Robin, H. 2009. The pilotage paradigm—the need for a paradigm shift. Seaways October 2009.Google Scholar
- EFQM. 2011. The EFQM Excellence Model. http://www.efqm.org/en/tabid/132/default.aspx. Accessed 25 August 2011.
- EMPA. 1997. Charter on Pilotage. 32nd EMPA General Meeting. European Maritime Pilots Association.Google Scholar
- EMPA. 1998. Code of Best Practice for European Maritime Pilots. 33rd EMPA General Meeting. European Maritime Pilots Association.Google Scholar
- Government Decree on Pilotage 246/2011.Google Scholar
- IALA. 2007. Recommendation P-137 On Quality management for competent pilotage authorities and pilotage service providers. International Association of Marine Aids to Navigation and Lighthouse Authorities.Google Scholar
- IMO. 2000. Guidelines for voyage planning. Resolution A.893(21). International Maritime Organization.Google Scholar
- IMO. 2004. Recommendations on training and certification and on operational procedures for maritime pilots other than deep-sea pilots. Resolution A.960(23). International Maritime Organization.Google Scholar
- ISM. 2010. International Safety Management (ISM) Code. IMO Resolution A.741(18) as amended by MSC.104(73), MSC.179(79), MSC.195(80) and MSC.273(85). International Maritime Organization.Google Scholar
- ISO. 2008a. ISO 9000 Introduction and support package: guidance on the concept and use of the process approach for management systems. Secretariat of ISO/TC 176/SC 2.Google Scholar
- ISO. 2008b. ISO 9001:2008 Quality management systems—requirements.Google Scholar
- ISPO. 2009. International Standard for Maritime Pilot Organizations. Part A. ISPO International Users Group.Google Scholar
- ISPO. 2010. Guidelines to the International Standard for Maritime Pilot Organizations. Part B. ISPO International Users Group.Google Scholar
- ISPO. 2011. Background to ISPO. http://www.ispo-standard.com/home/Background-to-ISPO/. Accessed 8 June 2011.
- Larjo K, Loveson K, Lehtosalo J (2010) Practices in pilotage—past, present and future. Safety Study S1/2004M b. Safety Investigation Authority, HelsinkiGoogle Scholar
- Marine Board of the National Research Council (1994) Minding the helm—marine navigation and piloting. Committee on Advances in Navigation and Piloting National Academic Press, Washington, D.CGoogle Scholar
- Norros L, Nuutinen M, Larjo K (2006) Piloting practices and culture in the light of accidents. Safety Study S 1/2004M. Safety Investigation Authority, HelsinkiGoogle Scholar
- Office of the Auditor General of Canada. 2008. Special examination report. Pacific Pilotage Authority. Report presented to the Board of Directors 27 November 2008. Canada.Google Scholar
- Pacific Pilotage Authority. 2009. Annual Report 2009. Canada.Google Scholar
- Pilotage Act 940/21.11.2003.Google Scholar
- Port Skills and Safety. 2000a. National Occupational Standards for Marine Pilots. Approved version July 2000.Google Scholar
- Port Skills and Safety. 2000b. Syllabus for Marine Pilot Training. http://www.portskillsandsafety.co.uk/sites/default/files/documents/Marine_Pilot_Training_Full_syllabus.pdf. Accessed 25 August 2011.