The Ahmedabad Declaration, 2018: the family and diabetes
The family is the basic social unit and should be taken as the basic unit of engagement and intervention in diabetes care as well. Family members not only contribute to diabetes care and support but are also prone to all effects arising from this. Shared genetic and environmental factors lead to a higher prevalence of diabetes in family members, and open a window of opportunity for diabetes prevention as well. The Ahmedabad Declaration of 2018, titled “The Family and Diabetes” has been released during the Annual Conference of the Research Society for Study of Diabetes India (RSSDI). It supports the theme of World Diabetes Day 2018–2019 and lends its voice towards strengthening the family in our quest for optimal diabetes control.
KeywordsCommunity Compassion fatigue Diabetes Diabetes self-management education (DSME) Diabetes self-management support (DSMS) Family Society Prevention
- 1.Family. Available at: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/family. Last Accessed on 25 Oct 2018.
- 2.Patient- and family-centered care. Available at: http://www.ipfcc.org/about/pfcc.html. Last Accessed on 25 Oct 2018.
- 4.Kovacs Burns K, Nicolucci A, Holt RI, Willaing I, Hermanns N, Kalra S, et al. DAWN2 study group. Diabetes Attitudes, Wishes and Needs second study (DAWN2™): cross-national benchmarking indicators for family members living with people with diabetes. Diabet Med. 2013;30(7):778–88.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Kalra S, Gupta Y. Professional hazards of diabetes care professionals. JPMA J Pak Med Assoc. 2016;66(4):483–4.Google Scholar
- 12.Powers MA, Bardsley J, Cypress M, Duker P, Funnell MM, Fischl AH, et al. Diabetes self-management education and support in type 2 diabetes: a joint position statement of the American Diabetes Association, the American Association of Diabetes Educators, and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The Diabetes Educator. 2017;43(1):40–53.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Ahmed Z, Yeasmeen F. Active family participation in diabetes self-care: a commentary. Diabetes Manag. 2016;6(5):104–7.Google Scholar