Gasification of waste wood and bark in a dual fluidized bed steam gasifier
- 400 Downloads
Because of the limited resources of fossil fuels the efficient use of renewable energy is gaining importance. Renewable energy from biomass reduces CO2 emissions, which is a necessity to protect the global climate. In the dual fluidized bed steam gasifier, wood chips are converted to producer gas, which is further used for heat, power, and/or other product generation very successfully. This work presents alternative feedstocks for this process: biomass wastes, such as waste wood and bark. Waste wood and bark have been gasified successfully and results of these experiments in a pilot plant are presented in this paper.
KeywordsSteam gasification Dual fluidized bed gasifier Residues Thermal conversion
We want to thank the team of the Notified Testing Laboratory for Combustion Systems at the Vienna University of Technology for their support. Gasification of waste wood is carried out in the frame of the Bioenergy2020+ project “C-II-1-4 Industrial Residues”. Bioenergy2020+ is funded within the Austrian COMET program, which is managed by the Austria Research Promoting Agency FFG. The financial support is gratefully acknowledged.
- 2.Hofbauer H, Rauch R, Loeffler G, Kaiser S, Fercher E, Tremmel H (2002) Six years experience with the FICFB gasification process. In: Proceedings of the 12th European Biomass Conference, Italy. pp 982-985Google Scholar
- 3.Aigner I, Pfeifer C, Hofbauer H (2010) Co-gasification of coal and wood in a dual fluidized bed gasifier: variation of fluidization conditions and load ratio. In: Proceedings of the Fluidization XIII Conference, Gyeong-ju, Korea. pp 527–534Google Scholar
- 4.Wolfesberger U, Aigner I, Hofbauer H (2009) Tar content and composition in producer gas of fluidized bed gasification of wood - influence of temperature and pressure. Environmental Progress and Sustainable Energy. pp 372–379. doi: 10.1002/ep.10387
- 5.Kaltschmitt M, Hartmann H, Hofbauer H (2009) Energie aus Biomasse. Grundlagen, Techniken und Verfahren. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 6.Brunner T, Obernberger I, Wellacher M (2005) Altholzaufbereitung zur Verbesserung der Brennstoffqualität—Möglichkeiten und Auswirkungen. VDI-Berichte 1891:9–64Google Scholar
- 7.Wilk V, Hofbauer H (2010) Efficient utilisation of industrial residues and waste with high biomass content using gasification technology. In: Proceedings of the 18th European Biomass Conference and Exhibition, FranceGoogle Scholar
- 9.Kreuzeder A, Pfeifer C, Soukup G, Cuadrat A, Hofbauer H (2007) Increased fuel flexibility of dual fluidized-bed gasification process. In: Proceedings of the 15th European Biomass Conference and Exhibition, GermanyGoogle Scholar