Selection of CVD Diamond Crystal Size on a CVD Pad Conditioner for Improved Lifetime
Pad conditioners are important consumables for semiconductor chemical mechanical planarization processes. Recently, a new concept has been developed to improve the performance and lifetime of a pad conditioner by depositing diamond film on a uniformly patterned substrate. In this study, we investigated the pad conditioner lifetime while varying the crystal size of the deposited diamond film, which was controlled via different methane (CH4) gas concentrations in hydrogen gas (H2). Microcrystalline diamond (MCD) film was formed using 2% CH4 in H2 flow and nanocrystalline diamond film (NCD) was formed with 4% CH4. The NCD film showed a longer lifetime and higher adhesion with the substrate than the MCD film.
KeywordsCMP pad conditioner CVD conditioner Diamond crystal size Raman spectroscopy Conditioner lifetime
This research was supported by Ansan-Si hidden champion fostering and supporting project funded by Ansan city.
- 3.Choi, J.H., Lee, Y.B., Kim, B.K.: CVD diamond-coated CMP polishing pad conditioner with asperity height variation. In: International Conference on Planarization/CMP Technology (ICPT 2012) 2012, pp. 1-5. VDEGoogle Scholar
- 4.Tseng, W.T., Rafie, S., Ticknor, A., Devarapalli, V., Truong, C., Majors, C., Zabasajja, J., Sokol, J., Laraia, V., Fritz, M.: Microreplicated conditioners for Cu barrier chemical–mechanical planarization (CMP). ECS J. Solid State Sci. Technol. 4(11), P5001–P5007 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0011511jss CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Shen, B., Sun, F.H.: The cutting performance of ultra-smooth composite diamond coated WC–Co inserts in dry turning Al/SiC–MMC. In: Advanced Materials Research 2011, pp. 400–405. Trans Tech PublGoogle Scholar
- 12.Din, S., Shah, M., Sheikh, N.: Effect of CVD-diamond on the tribological and mechanical performance of titanium alloy (Ti6Al4V). Tribol. Ind. 38(4), 530–542 (2016)Google Scholar
- 20.Chandran, M., Kumaran, C.R., Gowthama, S., Shanmugam, P., Natarajan, R., Bhattacharya, S.S., Rao, M.S.R.: Chemical vapor deposition of diamond coatings on tungsten carbide (WC–Co) riveting inserts. Int. J. Refract. Met. Hard Mat. 37, 117–120 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmhm.2012.11.005 CrossRefGoogle Scholar