Oxidation and Repeated-Bending Properties of Sn-Based Solder Joints After Highly Accelerated Stress Testing (HAST)
- 361 Downloads
The repeated-bending properties of Sn–0.7Cu, Sn–0.3Ag–0.7Cu (SAC0307), and Sn–3.0Ag–0.5Cu (SAC305) solders mounted on flexible substrates were studied using highly accelerated stress testing (HAST), followed by repeated-bending testing. In the Sn–0.7Cu joints, the Cu6Sn5 intermetallic compound (IMC) coarsened as the HAST time increased. For the SAC0307 and SAC305 joints, the Ag3Sn and Cu6Sn5 IMCs coarsened mainly along the grain boundary as the HAST time increased. The Sn–0.7Cu solder had a high contact angle, compared to the SAC0307 and SAC305 solders; consequently, the SAC0307 and SAC305 solder joints displayed smoother fillet shapes than the Sn–0.7Cu solder joint. The repeated-bending for the Sn–0.7Cu solder produced the crack initiated from the interface between the Cu lead wire and the solder, and that for the SAC solders indicated the cracks initiated at the surface, but away from the interface between the Cu lead wire and the solder. Furthermore, the oxide layer was thickest for Sn–0.7Cu and thinnest for SAC305, regardless of the HAST time. For the SAC solders, the crack initiation rate increased as the oxide layer thickened and roughened. Cu6Sn5 precipitated and grew along the grain and subgrain boundaries as the HAST time increased, embrittling the grain boundary at the crack propagation site.
KeywordsHighly accelerated stress testing Solder joint Oxide Repeated-bending Flexible substrate
This work was supported by the Technology Innovation Program (Grant No. 10051318, Development of SiC Automotive OBC Power Module with Environment-Friendly High-Temperature Bonding Materials) funded by the Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy (MOTIE, Korea) and by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), funded by the Korea government (MSIT) through GCRC-SOP (Grant no.2011-0030013).
- 3.Official Journal of the European Union, Commission Directive 2011/37/EU amending Annex II to Directive 2000/53/EC on end-of-life vehicles (ELVDirective). http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:085:0003:0007:EN:PDF (2011)
- 4.European Parliament, Council of the European Union, Directive 2000/53/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 September 2000 on end-of life vehicles. https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:32000L0053 (2000)
- 5.Meola, C.: Pb-Free Electronics Research Manhattan Project, Phase I. ACI Technology Inc, Philadelphia (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Ko, Y.H., Yoo, S.Y., Lee, C.W.: Evaluation on reliability of high temperature lead-free solder for automotive electronics. J. Microelectron. Packag. Soc. 17(4), 35–40 (2010). (in Korean) Google Scholar
- 16.Pandher, R., Lawlor, T.: Effect of silver in common lead-free alloys. In: Proceedings of international conference on soldering and reliability, p. 86. Surface Mount Technology Association (SMTA), Toronto (2009)Google Scholar