Architectural modifications for flexible supercapacitor performance optimization
- 187 Downloads
We have developed material and architectural alternatives for flexible supercapacitors and investigated their effect on practical performance. The substrate alternatives include paperboard as well as various polyethylene terephthalate (PET) films and laminates, with aqueous NaCl electrolyte used in all devices. In all the supercapacitors, activated carbon is used as the active layer and graphite ink as the current collector, with various aluminium or copper structures applied to enhance the current collectors’ conductivity. The capacitance of the supercapacitors was between 0.05 F and 0.58 F and their equivalent series resistance (ESR) was from <1 Ω to 14 Ω, depending mainly on the current collector structure. Furthermore, leakage current and selfdischarge rates were defined and compared for the various architectures. The barrier properties of the supercapacitor encapsulation have a clear correlation with leakage current, as was clearly shown by the lower leakage in devices with an aluminium barrier layer. A cycle life test showed that after 40000 charge-discharge cycles the capacitance decreases by less than 10%.
Keywordssupercapacitor electric double layer capacitor energy storage substrate current collector aqueous electrolyte
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.M. Lu, F. Béguin, and E. Frackowiak, Supercapacitors: Materials, Systems, and Applications, Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim, Germany (2013).Google Scholar
- 3.R. Moscatiello, SGIA J. (1st Quarter) 25 (2005).Google Scholar
- 9.B. C. Kim, J.-Y. Hong, G. G. Wallace, and H. S. Park, Adv. Energy Mater. 5, n/a (2015).Google Scholar
- 12.Z. Cui, F. R. Poblete, G. Cheng, S. Yao, X. Jiang, and Y. Zhu, J. Mater. Res. 30, 79 (2015).Google Scholar
- 26.O. S. Nissen, H. C. Beck, and M. Schou, Patent No. 6,341,057 (2002).Google Scholar
- 27.J. Lang, US Patent 6937460 B2 (2005).Google Scholar
- 32.International Standard: Fixed Electric Double Layer Capacitors for Use in Electronic Equipment, IEC 62391-2-1 (2006).Google Scholar
- 33.M. Hahn, P. Furrer, B. Schnyder, M. Baertsch, R. Koetz, O. Haas, C. Ohler, and M. W. Carlen, in Proc. 10th Int. Semin. Double Layer Capacit. Similar Energy Storage Devices Deerfield Beach, pp. 1–12, Florida, USA (2000).Google Scholar