Cost-Effective Algorithm for Workflow Scheduling in Cloud Computing Under Deadline Constraint
- 19 Downloads
Cloud computing is a popular model that allows users to store, access, process, and retrieve data remotely. It provides a high-performance computing with large scale of resources. However, this model requires an efficient scheduling strategy for resources management. Recently, several algorithms are presented to solve the resource scheduling problem. Nevertheless, still the problem exists with complex applications such as workflows, which need an efficient algorithm to be scheduled on the available resources. This paper presents a novel hybrid algorithm, called CR-AC, combining both the chemical reaction optimization (CRO) and ant colony optimization (ACO) algorithms to solve the workflow-scheduling problem. The proposed CR-AC algorithm is implemented in the CloudSim toolkit and evaluated by using real applications and Amazon EC2 pricing model. Moreover, the results are compared with the most recent algorithms: modified particle swarm optimization (PSO) and cost-effective genetic algorithm (CEGA). The experimental results indicate that the CR-AC algorithm achieves better results than the traditional CRO, the ACO, the modified PSO and CEGA algorithms, in terms of total cost, time complexity, and schedule length.
KeywordsCloud computing Workflow Scheduling CloudSim
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mei, L.; Chan, W.K.; Tse, T.H.: A tale of clouds: paradigm comparisons and some thoughts on research issues. Proc. APSCC 2008, 464–469 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Nasr, A.A.; El-Bahnasawy, N.A.; El-Sayed, A.: Task scheduling optimization in heterogeneous distributed systems. Int. J. Comput. Appl. 107(4), 5–12 (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Elsherbiny, S.; Eldaydamony, E.; Alrahmawy, M.; Reyad, A.E.: An extended intelligent water drops algorithm for workflow scheduling in cloud computing environment. Egypt. Inform. J. 19, 1–23 (2017)Google Scholar
- 15.Verma, A.; Kaushal, S.: Cost minimized PSO based workflow scheduling plan for cloud computing. Int. J. Inf. Technol. Comput. Sci. 8, 37–43 (2015)Google Scholar
- 17.Nasr, A.A.; El-Bahnasawy, N.A.; Attiya, G.; El-Sayed, A.: Using the TSP solution strategy for cloudlet scheduling in cloud computing. J. Netw. Syst. Manag. 1–22, 2018 (2018)Google Scholar
- 18.Bidaki, M.; Tabbakh, S.R.K.; Yaghoobi, M.; Shakeri, H.: Secure and efficient SOS-based workflow scheduling in cloud computing. Int. J. Secur. Its Appl. 11(3), 41–58 (2017)Google Scholar
- 20.Nasr, A.A.; EL-Bahnasawy, N.A.; EL-Sayed, A.: A new duplication task scheduling algorithm in heterogeneous distributed computing systems. Bull. Electr. Eng. Inform. 5(3), 373–382 (2016)Google Scholar
- 22.Liu, C.; Zou, C.; Wu, P.: A task scheduling algorithm based on genetic algorithm and ant colony optimization in cloud computing. In: Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium on Distributed Computing and Applications to Business, Engineering and Science (DCABES) (2014)Google Scholar