A Modified Space Vector PWM Approach for Nine-Level Cascaded H-Bridge Inverter
- 25 Downloads
This paper presents a modified space vector pulse width modulation (MSVPWM) technique for nine-level cascaded H-bridge (CHB) inverter. Based on a modular structure and absence of capacitor balancing problems, CHB inverter topology is preferred. Nowadays, space vector PWM (SVPWM) control scheme has achieved higher attention among different PWM techniques. In general, SVPWM method is realized based on disintegrating higher-level hexagons into a number of two-level hexagons. Compared to conventional SVPWM technique, the proposed MSVPWM technique reduces the computational burden and memory requirement involved in the realization of nine-level SVPWM. This is achieved by reducing the number of two-level hexagons without losing the inverter output voltage profile. Also a further modified space vector pulse width modulation technique is presented, which greatly reduces the computation efforts. The proposed SVPWM techniques are applied to a nine-level CHB inverter by using MATLAB/SIMULINK software tool and are compared with carrier-based sinusoidal pulse width modulation (SPWM) technique to validate the proposed techniques. The proposed SVPWM schemes produce lower harmonic distortion and higher DC bus utilization compared to SPWM technique. To verify the practicality of the proposed SVPWM techniques, experimental results are presented on nine-level CHB inverter.
KeywordsCascaded H-bridge (CHB) Pulse width modulation (PWM) Two-level hexagon Harmonic distortion Nine-level inverter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baker, R.H.; Bannister, L.H.: Electric power converter. U.S. Patent 3867643 (1975)Google Scholar
- 2.Baker, R.H.: Switching circuit. U.S. Patent 4210826 (1980)Google Scholar
- 3.Baker, R.H.: Bridge converter circuit. U.S. Patent 4270163 (1981)Google Scholar
- 5.Meynard, T.A.; Foch, H.: Multilevel conversion: high voltage choppers and voltage source inverters. In: IEEEPESC Conference Record, pp. 397–403 (1992)Google Scholar
- 12.Renge, M.M.; Suryawanshi, H.M.: Five-level diode clamped inverter to eliminate common mode voltage and reduce dv/dt in medium voltage rating induction motor drives. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 23(4), 1598–1607 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Kim, J.S.: A novel voltage modulation technique of the space vector PWM. IEE J Trans. Electr. Electron. Eng. Jpn. 116(8), 820–825 (1996)Google Scholar
- 16.Seo, J.H.; Choi, C.H.; Hyun, D.S.: A new simplified space-vector PWM method for three-level inverters. IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 16(4), 545–550 (2001)Google Scholar
- 18.Gopinath, A.; Aneesh Mohamed, A.S.; Baiju, M.R.: Fractal based space vector PWM for multilevel inverters–a novel approach. IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 56(4), 1230–1237 (2009)Google Scholar
- 21.SEMIKRON IGBT Modules SEMITRANS-2 datasheet, SEMIKRON Co. Ltd.Google Scholar