Correlation Between Hardness and Loading Transformation Stress of Superelastic NiTi
- 13 Downloads
The relationship between the microhardness and the loading transformation stress of superelastic NiTi is investigated at room temperature. Superelastic NiTi shows a loading stress plateau under mechanical loading due to austenite-to-martensite microstructural phase transformation. The stress level at which the transformation from austenite to martensite occurs is a key mechanical property that dominates the design of several mechanical and biomedical components. Experiments in this study indicate a direct relationship between the loading transformation stress of superelastic NiTi and the value of Vickers hardness for this material. Regression analysis was conducted to investigate the correlation between the microhardness values and loading transformation stress of superelastic NiTi and determine the appropriate form of relation between these two mechanical properties. Based on the analyses, a linear relation was found to appropriately represent the relationship between the microhardness and loading transformation stress.
KeywordsNitinol Shape memory alloy Microhardness Mechanical behavior Transformation stress
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Authors would like to acknowledge the support of Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems (CAVS) at Mississippi State University.
- 1.Otsuka, K.; Wayman, C.M.: Shape Memory Materials. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1999)Google Scholar
- 14.ASTM E606-/E606M-12: Test Method for Strain-Controlled Fatigue Testing. ASTM International, West Conshohocken (2012)Google Scholar
- 15.ASTM F2516-14: Standard Test Method for Tension Testing of Nickel–Titanium Superelastic Materials. ASTM International, West Conshohocken (2014)Google Scholar
- 16.Dieter, G.E.: Mechanical Metallurgy, 3rd edn. McGraw-Hill, New York (1986)Google Scholar
- 18.Brockhurst, P.; Hsu, E.: Hardness and strength of endodontic instruments made from NiTi alloy. Aust. Endod. J. 24, 115–119 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1747-4477.1998.tb00034.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar