Adaptive Distance Relaying for Grid-Connected Line with Consideration of Single-Phase Auto-Reclosing
- 27 Downloads
In this paper, the performance of distance relay during single-phase reclosing (SPAR) period is considered. Available distance relaying schemes are affected during SPAR period as the pre-fault signals include both negative- and zero-sequence components. Fault resistance, voltage ratio, load angle, shunt capacitive effect, and other system conditions along with SPAR further make distance estimation erroneous. The proposed adaptive scheme is based on the derivation of the impedance at the relay location using symmetrical component theory. The proposed scheme has been employed to measure the correct value of the fault impedance during SPAR period with variation in different system conditions. This approach also works for without SPAR condition. The performance of the proposed technique is tested using the transient data obtained from the single-circuit line simulated using PSCAD/EMTDC software. Performance of the proposed algorithm is verified using a hardware-in-loop test bed having real-time digital simulator and dSPACE.
KeywordsSingle-phase auto-reclosing Adaptive distance protection Faults with high resistance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Taylor, C.; Mittelstadt, W.A.; Lee, T.N.; Hardy, J.E.; glavitsch, H.; stranne, G.; Hurley, J.D.: Single-pole switching for stability and reliability. IEEE Trans. Power Syst. PWRS 01(2), 25–36 (1986)Google Scholar
- 2.GE Power Management, Protective Relays: High Voltage Transmission Line Protection with Single Pole Tripping and Reclosing. https://store.gedigitalenergy.com/FAQ/Documents/Alps/GET-6555.pdf.
- 5.Thompson, M.J.; Somani, A.: A tutorial on calculating source impedance Ratios for determining line length. In: 68th Annual Conference for Protective Relay Engineers College Station, Texas, pp. 1–9. https://www.selinc.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=106181 (2015)
- 6.Reyna, V.H.S.; Velázquez, J.C.R.; Félix, H.E.P.; Ferrer, H.J.A.; Escobedo, D.S.; Guerrero, J.G.: Transmission Line single-pole tripping: field experience in the western transmission area of Mexico. In: 37th Annual Western Protective Relay Conference, pp. 1–12 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Altuve, H.J.; Schweitzer, E.O.: Modern Solution for Protection, Control, and Monitoring of Electric Power Systems. Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc Pullman, Washington (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Bachmatiuk, A.; Izykowski, J.: Distance protection performance under inter-circuit faults on double-circuit transmission line. Przeglad Elektrotechniczny 89, 7–11 (2013)Google Scholar
- 21.Calero, F.; Hou, D.: Practical considerations for single-pole-trip line-protection schemes. In: IEEE Engineering Annual Conference, pp. 69–85 (2005)Google Scholar
- 22.Angell, D.; Hou, D.: Input source error concerns for protective relays. In: 33rd Annual Western Protective Relay Conference, pp. 1–8 (2006)Google Scholar
- 23.Huping, Y.; Dongwerr, W.; Yin, G.; Zhipeng, B.: Analysis on fault voltage and secondary arc current of single phase refusing-shut of the 500 kV extra high voltage transmission line. In: 2nd International Conference on Power Electronics and Intelligent Transportation System, pp. 9–12 (2009)Google Scholar