A Dual-Band-Notched Antenna for UWB Communication Systems Using Two Different Shaped Slots
- First Online:
- 125 Downloads
A compact planar ultra-wideband (UWB) monopole antenna with controllable dual-band-notched characteristics is presented in this paper. U-shaped inverted slot and vertical up C-shaped slot are embedded in the feed line and in the radiating patch, for rejecting WiMAX and WLAN frequency bands, respectively. Moreover, the bandwidth of each rejected band can be independently shifted by adjusting the dimensions of the corresponding band-notched structure. The proposed antenna with two rejected bands characteristics is successfully simulated, prototyped, and measured. The measured results show that the proposed antenna operates until upper 10.6 GHz for voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR) less than 2 and exhibits bands rejection of 3.20–4.1 GHz (24.66%) and 5.20–5.96 GHz (13.62%) frequency band. Furthermore, the proposed antenna shows good radiation characteristics, stable peak gain, and provides more than 80% radiation efficiency, on the entire UWB frequency range except in the notched frequency bands, which prospects the employment in the UWB communication systems.
KeywordsUWB monopole antenna Slots Dual-band-notched characteristics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.FCC.: Ultra-Wideband Operation FCC Report and Order. Tech. Rep. US 47 CFR Part. 15 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Ray, K. P.: Design aspects of printed monopole antennas for ultra-wide band applications. Int. J. Antennas Propag. 1–8 (2008). doi:10.1155/2008/713858
- 8.Kim, D. O.; Kim, C. Y.: Planar UWB antenna with WLAN/WiMAX dual band-notched characteristics using the Hilbert-curve slots. PIERS Proceedings, Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA, March 27–30 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Bing, L.; Hong, J. S.: Design of two novel dual band-notched UWB antennas. Int. J. Antennas Propag. ArticleID303264 (2012). doi:10.1155/2012/303264
- 10.Hu S., Chen H., Law C. L., Shen Z., Zui L., Zhang W., Dou W.: Backscattering cross-section of ultrawideband antennas. IEEE Trans. Wirel. Propag. Lett. 6, 70–73 (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Mishra, S. K.; Gupta, R.; Vaidya, A.; Mukherjee, J.: Low-cost, compact printed circular monopole UWB antenna with 3.5/5.5-GHZ dual band-notched characteristics. Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett. 54(1) (2012). doi:10.1002/mop
- 16.Kim, J.; Kim, N.; Lee, S.: A broadband antenna using the modified ground plane with a complementary split ring resonator for 5-GHz WLAN band-notched performance. Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett. 54(1) (2012). doi:10.1002/mop
- 17.Amin, M. A.: Design of a CPW-fed band-notched UWB antenna using a feeder-embedded slotline resonator. Int. J. Antennas Propag. Article ID 564317 (2008). doi:10.1155/2008/564317
- 18.Liu W. X., Yin Y. Z.: Dual band-notched antenna with the parasitic strip for UWB. Prog. Electromagn. Res. Lett. 25, 21–30 (2011)Google Scholar