Human parechovirus type 6 and Guillain-Barré syndrome: a case report
A previously healthy 6-year-old boy was admitted to hospital with hypotonia and hyposthenia of lower limbs. Electromyography and slow motor nerve conduction velocity test identified a lower limb acute motor axonal neuropathy. Brain and spinal cord magnetic resonance imaging demonstrated multifocal cortical gray matter lesions in both cerebral hemispheres consistent with gray matter acute disseminated encephalitis otherwise with viral/Mycoplasma pneumoniae encephalitis, and signs of involvement of anterior nerve roots of the cauda equina consistent with Guillain-Barré syndrome. The patient resulted negative to routinely bacterial and viral investigations but positive to human parechovirus that sequence analyses confirmed as type 6. Intravenous immunoglobulins and methylprednisolone treatment were administered but did not relieve the symptoms of Guillain-Barré syndrome. The disease improved gradually over the next 3-month follow-up with a complete remission of both central and peripheral nervous system symptoms.
KeywordsHuman parechovirus Guillain-Barré syndrome Acute flaccid paralysis surveillance Molecular characterization
Compliance with ethical standards
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- Balavoine S, Pircher M, Hoen B, Herrmann-Storck C, Najioullah F, Madeux B, Signate A, Valentino R, Lannuzel A, Saint Louis M, Cassadou S, Cabié A, Schepers K (2017) Guillain-Barré syndrome and chikungunya: description of all cases diagnosed during the 2014 outbreak in the French West Indies. Am J Trop Med Hyg 97:356–360CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Bubba L, Martinelli M, Pellegrinelli L, Primache V, Tanzi E, Pariani E, Binda S (2017) A 4-year study on epidemiologic and molecular characteristics of human parechoviruses and enteroviruses circulating in children younger than 5 years in Northern Italy. Pediatr Infect Dis J 36:13–19CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Linden S, Vuorinen T, Österback R, Soilu-Hänninen M (2012) Parechovirus infection preceding Guillain-Barré syndrome. J Neuro-Oncol 18:434–436Google Scholar
- Romero JR, Selvarangan R (2011) The human parechoviruses: an overview. Adv Pediatr Infect Dis 58:65–85Google Scholar
- WHO (2012) The polio eradication & endgame strategic plan 2013–2018 (WHO/POLIO/13.02)Google Scholar