Marked relationship between matrix metalloproteinase 7 and brain atrophy in HIV infection
- 136 Downloads
Circulating levels of matrix metalloproteinases (MMP-1 and 7) have been found to correlate with the severity of brain injury in HIV-infected subjects. This study used high-resolution neuroanatomic imaging and automated segmentation algorithms to clarify this relationship. Both metalloproteinases were significantly correlated with increased cerebrospinal fluid volume fraction. Comprehensive brain volumetric analysis revealed a more marked relationship with atrophy for MMP-7, which was significantly correlated with neural injury in multiple brain regions and nearly all ventricular measurements. MMP-7 was also correlated with measures of virologic and cognitive status.
KeywordsHIV-dementia MMP-1 MMP-7 NeuroAIDS Quantitative MRI
This work was supported by National Institutes of Health grants: MH66705 (ABR), MH080636 (ABR), NS052580 (KC), and MH075673 (JCM). The NEAD cohort was supported by NS044807 (JCM) and NS049465 (JCM). The authors thank Linda Reisberg, Pippa Storey, and the NEAD consortium.
The authors report no conflicts of interest. The authors alone are responsible for the content and writing of this paper.
- Antinori A, Arendt G, Becker JT, Brew BJ, Byrd DA, Cherner M, Clifford DB, Cinque P, Epstein LG, Goodkin K, Gisslen M, Grant I, Heaton RK, Joseph J, Marder K, Marra CM, McArthur JC, Nunn M, Price RW, Pulliam L, Robertson KR, Sacktor N, Valcour V, Wojna VE (2007) Updated research nosology for HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders. Neurology 69:1789–1799PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cinque P, Vago L, Mengozzi M, Torri V, Ceresa D, Vicenzi E, Transidico P, Vagani A, Sozzani S, Mantovani A, Lazzarin A, Poli G (1998) Elevated cerebrospinal fluid levels of monocyte chemotactic protein-1 correlate with HIV-1 encephalitis and local viral replication. AIDS 12:1327–1332PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fischl B, Salat DH, Busa E, Albert M, Dieterich M, Haselgrove C, van der Kouwe A, Killiany R, Kennedy D, Klaveness S, Montillo A, Makris N, Rosen B, Dale AM (2002) Whole brain segmentation: automated labeling of neuroanatomical structures in the human brain. Neuron 33:341–355PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Persidsky Y, Ghorpade A, Rasmussen J, Limoges J, Liu XJ, Stins M, Fiala M, Way D, Kim KS, Witte MH, Weinand M, Carhart L, Gendelman HE (1999) Microglial and astrocyte chemokines regulate monocyte migration through the blood-brain barrier in human immunodeficiency virus-1 encephalitis. Am J Pathol 155:1599–1611PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ragin AB, Wu Y, Ochs R, Scheidegger R, Cohen BA, McArthur JC, Epstein LG, Conant K (2009) Serum matrix metalloproteinase levels correlate with brain injury in human immunodeficiency virus infection. J Neurovirol: 1-7Google Scholar
- Sevigny JJ, Albert SM, McDermott MP, McArthur JC, Sacktor N, Conant K, Schifitto G, Selnes OA, Stern Y, McClernon DR, Palumbo D, Kieburtz K, Riggs G, Cohen B, Epstein LG, Marder K (2004) Evaluation of HIV RNA and markers of immune activation as predictors of HIV-associated dementia. Neurology 63:2084–2090PubMedGoogle Scholar