para-Nitroaniline is a Promising Matrix for MALDI-MS Imaging on Intermediate Pressure MS Systems
- 710 Downloads
para-Nitroaniline (PNA) is presented as a promising matrix for matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization mass spectrometry imaging (MALDI-MSI) on an intermediate-pressure ion source (~1 Torr) QqTOF instrument using an Nd:YVO4 laser operated at 5 kHz. An imaging study was carried out to determine the utility of PNA at this pressure by analyzing 14 tissue sections. We demonstrate acquisition of high-quality imaging data over a 6-h period in the ion source. In this study, comparisons were made between PNA and α-cyano-4-hydroxycinnamic acid (CHCA) in positive ion mode to demonstrate the utility of PNA in these circumstances. PNA performed as well as or better than CHCA in terms of lipid ion intensities, resulting in lower levels of ion fragmentation and in lower incidences of analyte migration at the edges of the tissue sections when using airspray matrix deposition.
Key wordspara-Nitroaniline MALDI-MSI Mass spectrometry imaging Intermediate pressure MALDI
The authors thank the EPSRC for funding via studentships for R.T.S. and A.M.R. through the PSIBS Doctoral Training Centre at the University of Birmingham (EP/F50053X/1).
- 2.Clench, M.R., Trim, J., Djidja, M.C., Atkinson, S.J., Oakes, K., Cole, L.M., Anderson, D.M.G., Hart, J., Francese, S.: Introduction of a 20 kHz Nd:YVO4 laser into a hybrid quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometer for MALDI-MS imaging. Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 397(8), 3409–3419 (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Astigarraga, E., Barreda-Gómez, G., Lombardero, L., Fresnedo, O., Castaño, F., Giralt, M.T., Ochoa, B., Rodríguez-Puertas, R., Fernández, J.A.: Profiling and imaging of lipids on brain and liver tissue by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry using 2-mercaptobenzothiazole as a matrix. Anal. Chem. 80(23), 9105–9114 (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Goodwin, R.J.A., Mackay, C.L., Nilsson, A., Harrison, D.J., Farde, L., Andren, E., Iverson, S.L.: Qualitative and quantitative MALDI imaging of the positron emission tomography ligands raclopride (a D2 dopamine antagonist) and SCH 23390 (a D1 dopamine antagonist) in rat brain tissue sections using a solvent-free dry matrix application method. Anal. Chem. 83(24), 9694–9701 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Koestler, M., Kirsch, D., Hester, A., Leisner, A., Guenther, S., Spengler, B.: A high-resolution scanning microprobe matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization ion source for imaging analysis on an ion trap/Fourier transform ion cyclotron resonance mass spectrometer. Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 22(20), 3275–3285 (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Race, A.M., Styles, I.B., Bunch, J.: Inclusive sharing of mass spectrometry imaging data requires a converter for all. J. Proteomics. 75(16), 5111–5112 (2012)Google Scholar