Assimilation of HY-2A scatterometer ambiguous winds based on feature thinning
- First Online:
- 22 Downloads
This paper focuses on the data assimilation methods for sea surface winds, based on the level-2B HY-2A satellite microwave scatterometer wind products. We propose a new feature thinning method, which is herein used to screen scatterometer winds while maintaining the key structure of the wind field in the process of data thinning for highresolution satellite observations. We also accomplish feeding the ambiguous wind solutions directly into the data assimilation system, thus making better use of the retrieved information while simplifying the assimilation process of the scatterometer products. A numerical simulation experiment involving Typhoon Danas shows that our method gives better results than the traditional approach. This method may be a valuable alternative for operational satellite data assimilation.
Key wordsdata assimilation HY-2A scatterometer feature thinning ambiguous winds
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lin, M. S., X. W. Jiang, and X. T. Xie, 2010: Simulation of HY-2 scatterometer and analysis of wind field retrieval. Proceedings of the SPIE 7807, Earth Observing Systems XV, San Diego, California, United States, 23 September, SPIE, 78070X.Google Scholar
- Lin, M. S., J. H. Zou, X. T. Xie, et al., 2013: HY-2A microwave scatterometer wind retrieval algorithm. Engineering Sciences, 15, 68–74. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Prasad, V. S., A. Gupta, E. N. Rajagopal, et al., 2013: Impact of OSCAT surface wind data on T574L64 assimilation and forecasting system—A study involving tropical cyclone Thane. Curr. Sci., 104, 627–631.Google Scholar
- Vogelzang, J., 2007: Two dimensional variational ambiguity removal (2DVAR). Technical Report NWPSAF-KN-TR-004, EUMETSAT, 62 pp.Google Scholar
- Wang, X. N., L. X. Liu, H. Q. Shi, et al., 2012: In-orbit calibration and performance evaluation of HY-2 scatterometer. Proceedings of IEEE International on Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), Munich, 22–27 July, IEEE, 4614–4616.Google Scholar
- Zhang, L., S. X. Huang, Y. D. Liu, et al., 2010: Variational assimilation combined with generalized variational optimization analysis for sea surface wind retrieval from microwave scatterometer data. Acta Phys. Sinica, 59, 2889–2897. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Zhang, Y., M. S. Lin, Q. T. Song, et al., 2013: Research on the preprocessing of HY-2A space-borne scatterometer data. Engineering Sciences, 15, 62–67. (in Chinese)Google Scholar