Buckling of Cassini Oval Pressure Hulls Subjected to External Pressure
- 17 Downloads
The paper focuses on Cassini oval pressure hulls under uniform external pressure. The Cassini oval pressure hull is proposed based on the shape index of Cassini oval. The buckling of a series of Cassini oval pressure hulls with the shape index of 0.09–0.30 and one spherical pressure hull with the diameter of 2 m is devoted. Such hulls are numerically studied in the case of constant volume, material properties, and wall thickness. The results show that Cassini oval pressure hulls with the shape index of 0.10–0.11 can resist about 4% more external pressure than the spherical one. This deviates from the classical mechanics conclusion that spherical shell is the optimal shape for underwater pressure resistant structures.
Key wordspressure hull Cassini oval shell shape index buckling behaviour external pressure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- China Classification Society (CCS), 2013. Rules for the Classification and Construction of Diving Systems and Submersibles, China Classification Society, Beijing. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Cui, W.C., Wang, F., Pan, B.B., Hu, Y. and Du, Q.H., 2015. Issues to be solved in the design, manufacture and maintenance of a full ocean depth manned cabin, in: Petrova, V.M. (ed.), Advances in Engineering Research, Science Publishers, Nova.Google Scholar
- ENV, 2007. Eurocode 3: Design of Steel Structures Part 1-6: Strength and Stability of Shell Structures, DIN EN 1993-1-6-2007, CEN, Brussels.Google Scholar
- Pan, B.B. and Cui, W.C., 2011. A comparison of different rules for the spherical pressure hull of deep manned submersibles, Journal of Ship Mechanics, 15(3), 276–285.Google Scholar
- Ross, C.T.F., Waddington, A., Punjau D., Dunn J., Bayly, A., Sadler, P., Ashwell, J. and Little, A.P.F., 2013. Geometrical and material non-linear analyses of corrugated circular cylinders, suffering buckling, under external hydrostatic pressure, Proceedings of the Fourteenth International Conference on Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering Computing, Civil-Comp Press, Stirlingshire, UK, pp. 1–22.Google Scholar
- Zoelly, R., 1915. Über ein Knickungsproblem an der Kugelschale, Ph.D. Thesis, ETH Zürich, Zürich. (in German)Google Scholar