Two-Layer Non-Hydrostatic Model for Generation and Propagation of Interfacial Waves
- 5 Downloads
When pycnocline thickness of ocean density is relatively small, density stratification can be well represented as a two-layer system. In this article, a depth integrated model of the two-layer fluid with constant density is considered, and a variant of the edge-based non-hydrostatic numerical scheme is formulated. The resulting scheme is very efficient since it resolves the vertical fluid depth only in two layers. Despite using just two layers, the numerical dispersion is shown to agree with the analytical dispersion curves over a wide range of kd, where k is the wave number and d the water depth. The scheme was tested by simulating an interfacial solitary wave propagating over a flat bottom, as well as over a bottom step. On a laboratory scale, the formation of an interfacial wave is simulated, which also shows the interaction of wave with a triangular bathymetry. Then, a case study using the Lombok Strait topography is discussed, and the results show the development of an interfacial wave due to a strong current passing through a sill.
Key wordsinterfacial waves two-layer non-hydrostatic model dispersion relation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bijvelds M., 2003. A Non-Hydrostatic Module for Delft3D-Flow, Technical Report, WL-Delft Hydraulics.Google Scholar
- Magdalena I., 2015. An Efficient Two-Layer Non-hydrostatic Numerical Model for Waves Propagation, Ph.D. Thesis, ITB.Google Scholar
- Murray, S.P., Arief D., Kindle J.C. and Hurlburt H.E., 1990. Characteristics of circulation in an Indonesian Archipelago strait from hydrography, current measurements and modeling results, in: Pratt L J. (ed.), The Physical Oceanography of Sea Strait, Springer, Dordrecht, 318, 3–23.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pudjaprasetya S.R., 2009. A study on internal solitary waves in lombok strait using the KdV Two-Layer Model, Far East J. of Oce. Res., 2(2), 83–91.Google Scholar
- Pudjaprasetya S.R. and Tjandra S.S., 2014. A hydrodynamic model for dispersive waves generated by bottom motion, in: Fuhrmann J. Ohlberger M, Rohde C. (eds.), Finite Volumes for Complex Applications VII-Methods and Theoretical Aspects, Springer, Cham.Google Scholar
- Visser W.P., 2004. On the Generation of Internal Waves in Lombok Strait through Kelvin-Helmholtz Instability, MSc Thesis, University of Twente, Twente.Google Scholar