Experimental Investigation of Vibration Response of A Free-Hanging Flexible Riser Induced by Internal Gas-Liquid Slug Flow
- 54 Downloads
The vibration response of a free-hanging flexible riser induced by internal gas-liquid slug flow was studied experimentally in a small-diameter tube model based on Froude number criterion. The flow regime in a curved riser model and the response displacements of the riser were simultaneously recorded by high speed cameras. The gas superficial velocity ranges from 0.1 m/s to 0.6 m/s while the liquid superficial velocity from 0.06 m/s to 0.3 m/s. Severe slugging type 3, unstable oscillation flow and relatively stable slug flow were observed in the considered flow rates. Severe slugging type 3 characterized by premature gas penetration occurs at relatively low flow rates. Both the cycle time and slug length become shorter as the gas flow rate increases. The pressure at the riser base undergoes a longer period and larger amplitude of fluctuation as compared with the other two flow regimes. Additionally, severe slugging leads to the most vigorous in-plane vibration. However, the responses in the vertical and horizontal directions are not synchronized. The vertical vibration is dominated by the second mode while the horizontal vibration is dominated by the first mode. Similar to the vortex-induced vibration, three branches are identified as initial branch, build-up branch and descending branch for the response versus the mixture velocity of gas-liquid flow.
Key wordsgas-liquid two-phase flow severe slugging liquid slug flexible riser flow-induced vibration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Das, I., Wordsworth, C. and McNulty, G., 1999. Drilling and production technology: living with slugs on floaters, Marine Engineers Deep and Ultradeep Water Offshore Technology Conference, Newcastle, UK.Google Scholar
- Montgomery, J.A., 2002. Severe Slugging and Unstable Flows in An S-Shaped Riser, Ph.D. Thesis, Cranfield University, Bedfordshire, UK.Google Scholar
- Nydal, O.J., Audibert, M. and Johansen, M., 2001. Experiments and modeling of gas-liquid flow in an S-shaped riser, Proceeding of the 10th International Conference on Multiphase Flow, Cannes, France.Google Scholar
- Tin, V., 1991. Severe slugging in flexible risers, Proceeding of 5th International Conference on Multiphase Technology, Cannes, France.Google Scholar
- Yeung, H. and Tchambak, E., 2003. Three-phase flows in an S-shaped riser–some preliminary results, Proceeding of 11th International Multiphase Flow Conference, San Remo, Italy.Google Scholar