Numerical simulation and experimental research on hydrodynamic performance of propeller with varying shaft depths
In order to study hydrodynamic performance of a propeller in the free surface, the numerical simulation and open-water experiments are carried out with varying shaft depths of propeller. The influences of shaft depths of a propeller on thrust and torque coefficient in calm water are mainly studied. Meanwhile, this paper also studies the propeller air-ingestion under special working conditions by experiment and theoretical calculation method, and compares the calculation results and experimental results. The results prove that the theoretical calculation model used in this paper can imitate the propeller air-ingestion successfully. The successful phenomenon simulation provides an essential theoretical basis to understand the physical essence of the propeller air-ingestion.
Key wordspropulsive performance depth of propeller shaft free surface air-ingestion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cao, M. L., 1988. The open-water characteristics of a propeller with varying depth of shaft and in waves, Journal of Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 22(3): 27–35. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Guo, C. Y., Zhao, D. G., Wang, C. and Chang, X., 2012. The experimental research on hydrodynamic characteristics of propeller in waves, Journal of Ship Mechanics, 9(16): 1005–1015.Google Scholar
- Jia, D. S., Wang, G. Q., Cao, M. L. and Sheng, Z. B., 1990. Propeller air ventilation and performance of ventilated propeller, Journal of Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 24(4): 32–41. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Lee, C. S., 1983. Propeller in waves-state of the art, Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Practical Design in Shipbuilding, Tokyo and Seoul, 139–148.Google Scholar
- Tao, Y. S., Zhang, F. and Feng, T. C., 1991. A study on propeller thrust and torque increase in regular waves, Shipbuilding of China, (1): 47–57. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Tao, Y. S. and Zhou, X. Y., 1984. The self-propelled factors and stall phenomenon of hooker in waves, Shipbuilding Engineering, (3): 24–32. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Wang, G. Q. and Jia, D. S., 1989. Influence of free surface on propeller characteristics, Shipbuilding of China, (1): 1–8. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- Yu, X., 2008. Research on Hydrodynamic Performance of Propeller in Heaving Conditions, Master Thesis, Harbin Engineering University. (in Chinese)Google Scholar