Modeling refractive index change in writing long-period fiber gratings using mid-infrared laser radiation
- 955 Downloads
The research on the use of fiber sensors based on long-period fiber gratings inscribed by CO2 laser mid-infrared radiation has increased in the last years. In this paper, a set of analytical expressions are used to model the interaction between laser radiation and an optical fiber and to determine the resulting refractive index change. Thermal and residual stress analysis is exemplified for a standard single mode fiber, demonstrating the capability of these models to point out the necessary parameters to achieve proper optical fiber devices based on long period fiber gratings. Experimental results are also presented.
KeywordsOptical fiber sensors fiber gratings laser processing refractive index thermo-mechanical processes
- A. Martinez-Rios, D. Monzon-Hernandez, Ismael Torres-Gomez, and G. Salceda-Delgado, “Long period fiber gratings,” in Fiber Optic Sensors. Moh. Yasin, S. Harun and H. Arof, Ed. Ridjeka, Croatia: InTech, pp. 275–291, 2012.Google Scholar
- C. Silva, J. M. P. Coelho, P. Caldas, and P. Jorge, “Fiber sensing system based on long-period gratings for monitoring aqueous environments,” in Fiber Optic Sensors. Moh. Yasin, S. Harun and H. Arof, Ed. Ridjeka, Croatia: InTech, pp. 317–341, 2012.Google Scholar
- G. M. Rego, “Arc-induced long-period fiber gratings: fabrication and their application in communications and sensing,” Ph. D. dissertation, Dept. Elect. Comp. Eng., Univ. of Porto, Porto, Portugal, 2006.Google Scholar
- J. Estudillo-Ayala, R. Mata-Chavez, J. Hernandez-Garcia, and R. Rojas-Laguna, “Long period fiber grating produced by arc discharges,” in Fiber Optic Sensors. Moh. Yasin, S. Harun and H. Arof, Ed. Ridjeka, Croatia: InTech, pp. 295–316, 2012.Google Scholar
- A. M. Vengsarkar, P. J. Lemaire, J. B. Judkins, B. Bhatia, T. Erdogan, and J. E. Sipe, “Long-period fiber gratings as band-rejection filters,” in Optical Fiber Communication Conference (OFC), San Diego, CA, Feb. 1995, pp. PD4–2, 1995.Google Scholar
- M. Akiyama, K. Nishide, K. Shima, A. Wada, and R. Yamauchi, “A novel long-period fiber grating using periodically releases residual stress of pure-silica core fiber,” in Optical Fiber Communication Conference (OFC), San José, CA, Feb. 22–27, pp. 276–277, 1998.Google Scholar
- S. P. Timoshenko and J. N. Goodier, Theory of elasticity, 2nd Edition. New York: McGraw-Hill, pp. 409–410, 1951.Google Scholar
- Corning® SMF-28 optical fiber product information, Corning Inc.: NY, PI1036, 2002.Google Scholar
- P. André, A. Rocha, F. Domingues, and M. Facão, “Thermal effects in optical fibers,” in Developments in Heat Transfer. Marco Aurélio dos Santos Bernardes Ed. Ridjeka, Croatia: InTech, pp. 1–20, 2011.Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits any use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.