Test and Verification of AES Used for Image Encryption
- 127 Downloads
In this paper, an image encryption program based on AES in cipher block chaining mode was designed with C language. The encryption/decryption speed and security performance of AES based image cryptosystem were tested and used to compare the proposed cryptosystem with some existing image cryptosystems based on chaos. Simulation results show that AES can apply to image encryption, which refutes the widely accepted point of view that AES is not suitable for image encryption. This paper also suggests taking the speed of AES based image encryption as the speed benchmark of image encryption algorithms. And those image encryption algorithms whose speeds are lower than the benchmark should be discarded in practical communications.
KeywordsInformation security Image encryption AES—advanced encryption standard CBC—cipher block chaining
This work was fully supported by the National Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 61762043 and 61562035), the Natural Science Foundation of Jiangxi Province, China (Grant No. 20161BAB202058), and the Science and Technology Project of Education Department of Jiangxi Province, China (Grant No. GJJ160426).
- 4.Zhang, Y., Li, X., & Hou, W. (2017). A fast image encryption scheme based on AES. Proceedings of ICIVC, 2, 624–2628.Google Scholar
- 12.Li, C., Liu, Y., Zhang, L., & Wong, K. W. (2014). Cryptanalyzing a class of image encryption schemes based on Chinese remainder theorem. Signal Processing: Image Communication, 29(8), 914–920.Google Scholar
- 15.Zhang, L., Liu, Y., Wong, K. W., Pareschi, F., Zhang, Y., & Setti, G. (2017). On the security of a class of diffusion mechanisms for image encryption. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 99, 1–13.Google Scholar
- 30.Fawaz, Z., Noura, H., & Mostefaoui, A. (2016). An efficient and secure cipher scheme for images confidentiality preservation. Signal Processing: Image Communication, 42, 90–108.Google Scholar
- 34.Li, S., Li, C., Chen, G., Bourbakis, N. G., & Lo, K.-T. (2008). A general quantitative cryptanalysis of permutation-only multimedia ciphers against plaintext attacks. Signal Processing: Image Communication, 23(3), 212–223.Google Scholar