Pathogenicity of Chrysoporthe deuterocubensis and Myrtoporthe bodenii gen. et sp. nov. on Eucalyptus in Sabah, Malaysia
- 84 Downloads
The Cryphonectriaceae (Diaporthales, Ascomycota) is an important family of fungi including endophytes and pathogens. These fungi cause cankers on trees and can shift hosts between genera and families in the Myrtales. They represent an understudied group in Southeast Asia, where species of Eucalyptus are grown for plantation forestry. Cankers on species of Eucalyptus were surveyed in Sabah, Malaysia, and their causal agents identified. Two species in the Cryphonectriaceae were isolated from Eucalyptus grandis in the Sipitang and Tawau provinces. These fungi were identified based on morphology and a phylogenetic species hypothesis using the internal transcribed spacer regions, the large subunit regions of ribosomal DNA, and the β–tubulin 1 and 2 gene regions. One species identified as Chrysoporthe deuterocubensis is a first report for Malaysia. The other species represented a new taxon, named here as Myrtoporthe bodenii gen. et sp. nov. Pathogenicity tests showed that both Chr. deuterocubensis and M. bodenii were pathogenic to E. grandis and E. deglupta and that M. bodenii is pathogenic to E. pellita. Myrtoporthe bodenii was equally as pathogenic as the well-known canker pathogen Chr. deuterocubensis and it should be regarded as a biosecurity concern.
KeywordsCryphonectria canker Diaporthales Eucalyptus Myrtaceae Tree disease
We thank members of the Tree Protection Co-operative Programme (TPCP) and Sabah Softwoods Berhad (SSB) for financial support to undertake this study. Mr. Mahadir Lapammu, Mr. Agustan Alwi and Mr. Manisi Lamuda and their team are also thanked for their assistance in conducting field studies. Mr. Edmund Gan, Mr. Reydzuan Yong, Mr. Jimmy and Mr. Guy Thornton are acknowledged for logistic support. Dr. DongHyeon Lee provided invaluable assistance with data management and analyses. Dr. Runlei Chang and Ms. Ginna Granados provided guidance with laboratory studies and data analyses.
- Crous PW, Wingfield MJ, Burgess TI, Hardy GESJ, Barber PA, Alvarado P, Barnes CW, Buchanan PK, Heykoop M, Moreno G, Thangavel R, van der Spuy S, Barili A, Barrett S, Cacciola SO, Cano-Lira JF, Crane C, Decock C, Gibertoni TB, Guarro J, Guevara-Suarez M, Hubka V, Kolařík M, Lira CRS, Ordoñez ME, Padamsee M, Ryvarden L, Soares AM, Stchigel AM, Sutton DA, Vizzini A, Weir BS, Acharya K, Aloi F, Baseia IG, Blanchette RA, Bordallo JJ, Bratek Z, Butler T, Cano-Canals J, Carlavilla JR, Chander J, Cheewangkoon R, Cruz RHSF, da Silva M, Dutta AK, Ercole E, Escobio V, Esteve-Raventós F, Flores JA, Gené J, Góis JS, Haines L, Held BW, Jung MH, Hosaka K, Jung T, Jurjević Ž, Kautman V, Kautmanova I, Kiyashko AA, Kozanek M, Kubátová A, Lafourcade M, La Spada F, Latha KPD, Madrid H, Malysheva EF, Manimohan P, Manjón JL, Martín MP, Mata M, Merényi Z, Morte A, Nagy I, Normand AC, Paloi S, Pattison N, Pawłowska J, Pereira OL, Petterson ME, Picillo B, Raj KNA, Roberts A, Rodríguez A, Rodríguez-Campo FJ, Romański M, Ruszkiewicz-Michalska M, Scanu B, Schena L, Semelbauer M, Sharma R, Shouche YS, Silva V, Staniaszek-Kik M, Stielow JB, Tapia C, Taylor PWJ, Toome-Heller M, Vabeikhokhei JMC, van Diepeningen AD, Van Hoa N, Van Tri M, Wiederhold NP, Wrzosek M, Zothanzama J, Groenewald JZ (2017) Fungal Planet description sheets: 558–624. Persoonia 38:240–384CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- de Mendiburu F (2013) Statistical procedures for agricultural research. Package ‘Agricolae’ version 1.4-4. Comprehensive R Archive Network, Institute for Statistics and Mathematics, Vienna, Austria. https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/agricolae/agricolae.pdf. Accessed 7 June 2018
- Gryzenhout M, Myburg H, van der Merwe NA, Wingfield BD, Wingfield MJ (2004) Chrysoporthe, a new genus to accommodate Cryphonectria cubensis. Stud Mycol 50:119–141Google Scholar
- Gryzenhout M, Tarigan M, Clegg PA, Wingfield MJ (2010) Cryptometrion aestuescens gen. sp. nov. (Cryphonectriaceae) pathogenic to Eucalyptus in Indonesia. Australas. Plant Pathol 39:161–169Google Scholar
- Kearse M, Moir R, Wilson A, Stones-Havas S, Cheung M, Sturrock S, Buxton S, Cooper A, Markowitz S, Duran C, Thierer T, Ashton B, Meintjes P, Drummond A (2012) Geneious Basic: an integrated and extendable desktop software platform for the organization and analysis of sequence data. Bioinformatics 28:1647–1649CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Minh BQ, Hahn M, Lanfear R (2018) New methods to calculate concordance factors for phylogenomic datasets. bioRxiv:487801Google Scholar
- White TJ, Bruns T, Lee S, Taylor JW (1990) Amplification and direct sequencing of fungal ribosomal RNA genes for phylogenetics. In: Innis MA, Gelfand DH, Sninsky JJ, White TJ (eds) PCR protocols: a guide to methods and applications. Academic Press Inc., New York, pp 315–322Google Scholar