Development, Cognition, Adaptive Function and Maladaptive Behavior in HIV-infected and HIV-exposed Uninfected Children Aged 2–9 Years
- 1 Downloads
To compare development/cognition, adaptive function and maladaptive behavior of HIV-infected and HIV-exposed uninfected children between 2 to 9 years with HIV-uninfected controls.
This hospital-based cross-sectional study was conducted from November, 2013 to March, 2015. 50 seropositive HIV-infected, 25 HIV-exposed uninfected and 25 HIV-uninfected children between 2 to 9 years were administered Developmental Profile 3, Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scale 2, and Child Behavior Checklist for assessing development, adaptive function and maladaptive behaviour, respectively. Additional data were obtained by history, examination and review of records.
Significant developmental/cognitive impairment was observed in 38 (76%), 16 (64%) and 6 (24%) HIV-infected, HIV-exposed uninfected, and HIV-uninfected children, respectively. Significant impairment in adaptive function was found in 12 (24%) and 2 (8%) HIV-infected and HIV-exposed uninfected children, respectively. Maladaptive behavior was not seen in any group.
High magnitude of impaired development/cognition and adaptive function in HIV-exposed and HIV-infected children warrants assessment of these domains during follow-up of these children, and incorporation of interventions for these deficits in standard care for this group.
KeywordsAcquired immunodeficiency disorder Developmental delay Neurocognition Outcome
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Funding: None; Competing interests: None stated.
- 1.Fiegelman S. Overview of assessment and variability: Growth, development and behavior. In: Kliegmen RM, Stanton BF, St Geme III JW, eds. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 20th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2016. p. 48–51.Google Scholar
- 10.Gerald D. Developmental Profile, 3rd ed. Los Angeles, CA: Western Psychological Services; 2007.Google Scholar
- 11.Sparrow S, Cicchetti DV, Balla D. Vineland adaptive behavior scale, 2nd ed. San Antonia: Pearson Assessment; 2005.Google Scholar
- 12.Achenbach TM, Rescorta LA. Manual for the ASEBA school age forms and profiles. Burlington, VY: University of Vermont; 2001.Google Scholar
- 20.National AIDS Control Organization. NACO Annual Report 2013–14. Available from: http://naco.gov.in/documents/annual-reports. Accessed December 27, 2015.