Urban-rural differences in menstrual problems and practices of girl students in Nagpur, India
- 278 Downloads
Menstruation in adolescent girls is often associated with menstruation related problems and poor practices. The study was planned to investigate the menstrual related problems and menstrual practices among school going adolescent girls. The study was a community based cross sectional study in a girls’ school in Nagpur. Majority of menstrual practices were significantly better in urban girls as compared to rural girls (P<0.05). Majority of the girls (71.83%) had at least one problem related to menstrual cycles. There was a significant difference in proportion of menstrual problems in rural and urban girls (P<0.01). Menstrual problems are a common source of morbidity in this population.
Key wordsAdolescent Females India Mensturation School
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Patil SN, Wasnik V, Wadke R. Health problems amongst adolescent girls in rural areas of Ratnagiri district of Maharashtra. J Clin Diagnostic Research. 2009; 3:1784–1790.Google Scholar
- 5.Mudey AB, Keshwani N, Mudey GA, Goyal RC. A crosssectional study on the awareness regarding safe and hygienic practices amongst school going adolescent girls in the rural areas of Wardha district. Global J Health Science. 2010;2:225–231.Google Scholar
- 7.Dawn CS. Textbook of Gynaecology Contraception and Demography. 14 ed. Calcutta: Dawn Books; 2003.Google Scholar
- 9.Narayan KA, Shrivastava DK, Pelto PJ, Veerapmmal S. Puberty rituals, reproductive and health of adolescent school girls of south India. Asia Pacific Population Journal. 2001;16:225–238.Google Scholar
- 10.Aggarwal K, Kannan AJ, Puri A, Sharma S. Dysmenorrhoea in adolescent girls in rural area of Delhi, A community based Survey. Indian J Public Hlth. 1997;41:84–85.Google Scholar
- 14.Lee KL, Chen PC, Lee KK, Kaur J. Menstruation in adolescent girls in Malaysia: a cross sectional school survey. Singapore Med Journal. 2006;47:869–874.Google Scholar
- 15.Karthiga V, Boratne AV, Datta SS, Joice S, Abraham SB, Purty AJ. Menstrual problem and pattern of consultation among adolescent school going girls in Pondicherry. Indian J Medical Specialties. 2011;2:92–95.Google Scholar