Skin of the newborn differs from that of an adult in several ways. It is more susceptible to trauma and infection and requires special care. Certain principles of skin care have to be emphasized to the mother or caregiver such as gentle cleansing, adequate hydration and moisturization of the skin, preventing friction and maceration in body folds, and protection from irritants and bright sunlight. The initial bath in full term infants can be given once the baby’s temperature has stabilized and the infant is hemodynamically stable. All soaps, cleansers, and syndets should be used infrequently during the newborn period and it is better if their use is limited to groins, axillae and napkin areas. The use of emollients on newborns should be limited in warm weather.
Key wordsNewborn Skin care
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sarkar R. Care of the skin In: Gupta P, editor. Essential Pediatric Nursing. New Delhi: CBS Publishers and Distributors; 2007. p. 217–226.Google Scholar
- 12.Basu S, Gupta P. Care of the normal newborn. In: Gupta P, editor. Essential Pediatric Nursing. New Delhi: CBS Publishers and Distributors; 2007.p. 217–226.Google Scholar
- 13.Behring A, Vezeau TM, Fink R, Timing of the newborn first bath: A replication. J Neonat Nurs 2003; 22: 39–46.Google Scholar
- 17.Kuehl BL, Fyfe KS, Shear NH. Cutaneous cleansers. Skin Therapy 2003;8:1–4.Google Scholar
- 20.Griffiths WAD, Wilkinson JD. Topical agents. In: Champion RH, Burns DA, Breathnach SM, editors. Textbook of Dermatology. 6th ed. Blackwell Science; 1998. p. 3519–3551.Google Scholar
- 21.Spoor HJ. Shampoos. Cutis 1973;12:671–672.Google Scholar
- 22.Marks R. Emollients. London: Martin Dunitz Ltd; 2002.Google Scholar
- 23.Caputo R, Monti M. Children’s skin and cleaning agents. Wein Med Wochenschr Suppl 1990;108:24–25.Google Scholar
- 24.Dhar S, Banerjee R, Mishra KS. Oil massage in paedatric practice: what to choose and what not to. Indian J Pediatr Dermatol 2006;99:2–5.Google Scholar
- 25.Pasricha JS, Gupta R, Gupta SK. Contact hypersensitivity to mustard khal and mustard oil. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 1975;51:108–110.Google Scholar
- 27.Mofensin HC, Greenshen J, Di Tamasso A, Okus S. Baby powder: the hazard. Pediatrics 1981;68:265–266.Google Scholar
- 28.Thappa DM. Newborn skin and its care. In: Thappa DM, editor. Clinical Pediatric Dermatology. 1st edition. Elseiver: Noida; 2009.p. 10–13.Google Scholar