Para-aortic lymphadenectomy in surgery for gastric cancer: current indications and future perspectives
- 123 Downloads
Involvement of para-aortic nodes (PAN) has been detected at pathological examination in 10–25% of locally advanced gastric cancer. Based on these data of nodal diffusion, the lymphadenectomy of para-aortic stations would be desirable in locally advanced gastric cancer. However, the debate on the oncological benefit of para-aortic nodes dissection is still not solved. A review of the literature was performed and papers reporting either the rate of para-aortic nodal metastases or the long-term survival outcomes after D2+ para-aortic nodes dissection (PAND) or D3 lymphadenectomy were descriptively reported. The literature survey yielded 14 studies. Most of the papers show the outcome of series of advanced gastric cancer treated with surgery alone, while starting from 2012, 3 articles report the outcomes of D2 + PAND or D3 lymphadenectomy after preoperative chemotherapy. The rate of PAN metastases ranges between 8.5 and 28% in surgical series. Survival outcomes largely improved in series of patients treated with multimodal approach compared to those of surgery alone. In patients with clinically detected para-aortic nodal metastases, preoperative chemotherapy followed by PAND is indicated. More data are needed to clarify the indication to prophylactic PAND in the era of multimodal treatment, anyway super-extended lymphadenectomies have to be performed by experienced surgeons in dedicated centres.
KeywordsGastric cancer Lymphadenectomy Para-aortic lymphadenectomy
Sources of financial support
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Research involving human participants and/or animals
The research does not involve Human Participants and/or Animals.
There was no need to get informed consent.
- 18.Marrelli D, Ferrara F, Giacopuzzi S, Morgagni P, Di Leo A, De Franco L, Pedrazzani C, Saragoni L, De Manzoni G, Roviello F (2017) Incidence and prognostic value of metastases to “Posterior” and para-aortic lymph nodes in resectable gastric cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 24(8):2273–2280CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Oyama K, Fushida S, Kinoshita J, Makino I, Nakamura K, Hayashi H et al (2012) Efficacy of pre-operative chemotherapy with docetaxel, cisplatin, and S-1 (DCS therapy) and curative resection for gastric cancer with pathologically positive para-aortic lymph nodes. J Surg Oncol 105:535–541CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Tsuburaya A, Mizusawa J, Tanaka Y, Fukushima N, Nashimoto A, Sasako M, Stomach Cancer Study Group of the Japan Clinical Oncology Group (2014) Neoadjuvant chemotherapy with S-1 and cisplatin followed by D2 gastrectomy with para-aortic lymph node dissection for gastric cancer with extensive lymph node metastasis. Br J Surg 101(6):653–660CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Lee JH, Kim JG, Jung HK, Kim JH, Jeong WK, Jeon TJ, Kim JM, Kim YI, Ryu KW, Kong SH, Kim HI, Jung HY, Kim YS, Zang DY, Cho JY, Park JO, Lim DH, Jung ES, Ahn HS, Kim HJ (2014) Clinical practice guidelines for gastric cancer in Korea: an evidence-based approach. J Gastric Cancer 14(2):87–104CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 25.Allum WH, Blazeby JM, Griffin SM, Cunningham D, Jankowski JA, Wong R, Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland, the British Society of Gastroenterology and the British Association of Surgical Oncology (2011) Guidelines for the management of oesophageal and gastric cancer. Gut 60:1449–1472CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Roviello F, Marrelli D, Morgagni P, de Manzoni G, Di Leo A, Vindigni C, Saragoni L, Tomezzoli A, Kurihara H (2002) Survival benefit of extended D2 lymphadenectomy in gastric cancer with involvement of second level lymph nodes: a longitudinal multicenter study. Ann Surg Oncol 9:894–900CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Waddell T, Verheij M, Allum W, Cunningham D, Cervantes A, Arnold D (2013) Gastric cancer: ESMO-ESSO-ESTRO Clinical 55 Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol 24(Suppl. 6):57–63Google Scholar
- 31.Zhang C, He Y, Schwarz RE et al (2014) Evaluation of para- aortic nodal dissection for locoregionally advanced gastric cancer with 1–3 involved para-aortic nodes. Chin Med J (Engl) 127:435–441Google Scholar
- 33.Marrelli D, Mazzei MA, Pedrazzani C, Di Martino M, Vindigni C, Corso G, Morelli E, Volterrani L, Roviello F (2011) High accuracy of multislices computed tomography (MSCT) for para-aortic lymph node metastases from gastric cancer: a prospective single-center study. Ann Surg Oncol 18(8):2265–2272CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar