A comparison between modified Alvarado score and RIPASA score in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis
Acute appendicitis is a common but elusive surgical condition and remains a diagnostic dilemma. It has many clinical mimickers and diagnosis is primarily made on clinical grounds, leading to the evolution of clinical scoring systems for pin pointing the right diagnosis. The modified Alvarado and RIPASA scoring systems are two important scoring systems, for diagnosis of acute appendicitis. We prospectively compared the two scoring systems for diagnosing acute appendicitis in 50 patients presenting with right iliac fossa pain. The RIPASA score correctly classified 88 % of patients with histologically confirmed acute appendicitis compared with 48.0 % with modified Alvarado score, indicating that RIPASA score is more superior to Modified Alvarado score in our clinical settings.
KeywordsAcute appendicitis Modified Alvarado score RIPASA score Diagnosis and comparison
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
There is no conflict of interests between the authors.
Research involving human participants and/or animals
No animals were involved in the study.
Informed written consent was taken from all the participants involved in the study.
- 3.Ozao-Chay J, Kim U, Vieux U, Menes TS (2011) Incidental findings on computed tomography scans for acute appendicitis: prevalence, costs and outcome. Am Surg 77:1502–1509Google Scholar
- 5.Al-Hashmey AM, Seleem MI (2004) Appraisal of the modified Alvarado score for acute appendicitis in adults. Saudi Med J 25:1229–1231Google Scholar
- 6.Chong CF, Adi MIW, Thien A, Suyoi A, Mackie AJ, Tin AS et al (2010) Development of the RIPASA score: a new appendicitis scoring system for the diagnosis of acute appendicitis. Singap Med J 51:220–225Google Scholar
- 8.Jang SO, Kim BS, Moon DJ (2008) Application of Alvarado score in patients with suspected appendicitis. Korean J Gastroentrol 52:27–31Google Scholar
- 11.Baidya N, Rodrigues G, Rao A, Khan SA (2007) Evaluation of Alvarado score in acute appendisitis: a prospective study. Int J Surg 9:1–3Google Scholar
- 13.Chong CF, Thien A, Mackie AJ, Tin AS, Tripathi S, Ahmad MA, Tan LT, Ang SH, Telisinghe PU (2011) Comparison of RIPASA and Alvarado scores for the diagnosis of acute appendicitis. Singap Med J 52(5):34Google Scholar
- 14.Nanjundaiah N, Mohammed A, Shanbhag V, Ashfaque K, Priya SA (2014) A Comparative study of RIPASA and Alvarado score in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis. J Clin Diagn Res 8(11):NC03–NC05Google Scholar
- 15.Alnjadat I, Abdallah B (2013) Alvarado versus RIPASA score in diagnosing acute appendicitis. RMJ 38(2):147–151Google Scholar
- 16.Butt MQ, Chatta SS, Ghumman AQ, Farooq M (2014) RIPASA score: a new diagnostic score for diagnosis of acute appendicitis. J Coll Phys Surg Pak 24(12):894–897Google Scholar
- 18.Khalil OM (2013) Using of the modified RIPASA score in diagnosis of acute appendicitis to decrease use of abdominal computed tomography. Egypt J Surg 32(2)Google Scholar
- 19.Verma M, Chanchal, Karamveer, Vashisht MG, Goyal K, Yadav P (2015) Comparison of Alvarado and RIPASA scoring systems in diagnosis of acute appendicitis paripex. Indian J Res 4(8):55–57Google Scholar