Single port-assisted fully laparoscopic abdominoperineal resection (APR) with immediate V-RAM flap reconstruction of the perineal defect
- 159 Downloads
Abdominoperineal resection (APR) of anorectal cancers after neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy may incur significant perineal morbidity. While vertical rectus abdominis muscle (V-RAM) flaps can fill the pelvic resection space with health tissue, their use has previously been described predominantly in association with laparotomy. Here, we describe a means of combination laparoscopic APR with V-RAM flap reconstruction that allows structural preservation of the entire abdominal wall throughout the oncological resection and of the deep parietal layers after V-RAM donation. Furthermore, a single port access device used at the end colostomy site allows a second senior surgeon assist with an additional two working instruments for the purpose of improved pelvic tissue retraction, especially useful in obese patients.
KeywordsAnorectal cancer Laparoscopic abdominoperineal resection Single port laparoscopy Vertical rectus abdominis muscle (V-RAM) flap
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- 7.Horch RE, D’Hoore A, Holm T, Kneser U, Hohenberger W, Arkudas A (2012) Laparoscopic abdominoperineal resection with open posterior cylindrical excision and primary transpelvic VRAM flap. Ann Surg Oncol 19:502–503Google Scholar
- 8.Hompes R, Lindsey I, Jones O, Guy R, Cunningham C, Mortensen N et al (2011) Step-wise integration of single-port laparoscopic surgery into routine colorectal surgical practice by use of a surgical glove port. Tech Coloproctol 15:165–171Google Scholar
- 9.Jefferies MT, Evans MD, Hilton J, Chandrasekaran T, Beynon J, Khot U (2011) Oncological outcome after laparoscopic abdominoperineal excision of the rectum. Colorectal Dis. doi: 10.1111/j.1463-1318.2011.02882.x
- 15.Baig N, Moftah M, Deasy J, McNamara D, Cahill RA (2012) Implementation and usefulness of single access laparoscopic segmental and total colectomy. Colorectal Dis [Epub ahead of print]Google Scholar
- 16.Lauritsen ML, Bulut O (2012) Single-port access laparoscopic abdominoperineal resection through the colostomy site: a case report. Tech Coloproctol 16:175–177Google Scholar