Structural Behaviour and Mechanical Properties of Welded Steel I-Girders with Corrugated Webs
- 131 Downloads
Steel I girders with corrugated webs are appropriate alternatives for normal flat-web girders in steel structures since they provide lighter and smaller beam features in steel design. Based on the existing literature, the corrugated web beams (CWBs) provide many advantages for structural applications. In this study, a series of numerical analyses have been performed in order to investigate the structural behaviour of steel I girders with corrugated web profile and to compare their mechanical performance with normal welded beams. Theory of Ultimate Limit State design has been adopted in accordance with AS4100 (Steel structures, Standard Australia, Sydney, 1998) along with considering geometric and material non-linearity in the numerical analyses in SAP2000. Comparing the results of the numerical investigation, merits of using corrugated welded beams (CWBs) over normal welded beams (WBs) have become apparent. Moreover, investigations regarding force–displacement relationship and buckling analysis of the webs were carried out and presented to further validate the advantages of using corrugated web beams. CWBs have been used in some parts of Australia without detailed information about their mechanical properties. Thus, based on the outcomes of this study, CWB table for dimensions and cross sectional properties has been developed and proposed for practical applications.
KeywordsMechanical properties Corrugated web beams Optimisation SAP2000 Ultimate limit state design
- Abbas, H. H. (2003). Analysis and Design of Corrugated Web I-Girders for Bridges Using High-Performance Steel, PhD dissertation. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Lehigh University.Google Scholar
- Alandkar, P. M., & Limaye, A. A. (2013). Strength of welded plate girder with corrugated web plate. Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, 3(5), 1925–1930.Google Scholar
- AS, NZS 1170.1. (2002). Australian/New Zealand Standard and supplement, Structural Design Actions—Part 1: Permanent. Standard Australia: Imposed and Other Actions.Google Scholar
- AS4100. (1998). Steel structures. Sydney: Standard Australia.Google Scholar
- Ashrawi, M. A., Sunitha, C. M., & Smitha, K. K. (2016). Load carrying capacity of corrugated web beams. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology, 03(09), 135–138.Google Scholar
- Calenzani, A. F. G., Fakury, R. H., Fernando Paula, F. A., Rodrigues, F. C., Queiroz, G., & Pimenta, R. J. (2012). Rotational stiffness of continuous composite beams with sinusoidal-web profiles for lateral-torsional buckling. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 79, 22–33.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Computers and Structures (2018). CSI Analysis Reference Manual for SAP2000, Berkeley, California. <http://docs.csiamerica.com/manuals/misc/CSI%20Analysis%20Reference%20Manual%202011-12.pdf>.
- Divaha, R., & Joanna, P. S. (2016). Investigation on the behaviour of encased cold-formed steel beams with trapezoidally corrugated web. International Journal of Chemistry Science, 14, 10–16.Google Scholar
- Hot Rolled and Structural Steel Products, Welded Beams, viewed May 2018, https://www.libertyonesteel.com/media/165356/seventh-edition-hot-rolled-and-structural-steel-productsseventh-edition-hot-rolled-and-structural-steel-products.pdf.
- Ju, G., Luo, X., Sun, F., & Fan, X. (2014). Experimental investigation on fatigue performance of welded H-beam with corrugated webs. Journal of Building Structures, 5(1), 96–103 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Kovesdi, B. (2010). Patch Loading Resistance of Girders with Corrugated Webs, PhD Dissertation, University of Stuttgart, Germany.Google Scholar
- Lukin, A., & Shlyakhin, D. (2016). A flexible beam with corrugated web and its performance under bending: an experimental study. MATEC Web of Conferences, 86, 44–53.Google Scholar
- Tang, Y., & Wan, S. (2012). Innovative Practice of Prestressed Concrete Box-Girder Bridges with Corrugated Steel Webs, Henan Provincial Communications Planning Survey and Design Institute Co.Ltd, Henan China, viewed at 16th September 2017 (in Chinese). http://www.hnrbi.com/kcsjy/html/737/3373/2012-5-29/179536.html.
- Yazeed, E. S. (2007). Design aspects of steel i-girders with corrugated steel webs. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering, 7, 27–40.Google Scholar
- Yu, H., & Xu, H. (2013). Characteristics and Forward Research of the Corrugated-Web H beams, Zhejiang Jinggong Science and Technology Co., Ltd, China, viewed at 3th July 2018 (in Chinese), https://wenku.baidu.com/view/8efc12f750e2524de4187e15.html.