Thin Film Solar Cells: Research in an Industrial Perspective
- 994 Downloads
Electricity generation by photovoltaic conversion of sunlight is a technology in strong growth. The thin film technology is taking market share from the dominant silicon wafer technology. In this article, the market for photovoltaics is reviewed, the concept of photovoltaic solar energy conversion is discussed and more details are given about the present technological limitations of thin film solar cell technology. Special emphasis is given for solar cells which employ Cu(In,Ga)Se2 and Cu2ZnSn(S,Se)4 as the sunlight-absorbing layer.
KeywordsSolar cells Photovoltaics Thin film Electricity CIGS CZTS
All members of the thin film solar cell group are acknowledged for their hard work and many fruitful discussions. The research on Thin Film Solar Cells and systems at Uppsala University is funded by the Swedish Energy Agency, Vinnova, Göran Gustavsson Foundation and Solelprogrammet.
- Hultqvist, A., C. Platzer-Björkman, T. Törndahl, M. Ruth, and M. Edoff. 2007. Optimization of i-ZnO window layers for Cu(In,Ga)Se2 solar cells. Proceedings of 22nd European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference, pp. 2381–2384.Google Scholar
- Hultqvist, A., C. Platzer-Björkman, U. Zimmermann, M. Edoff, and T. Törndahl. 2011. Growth kinetics, properties, performance and stability of ALD Zn-Sn-O buffer layers for Cu(In,Ga)Se2 solar cells. Progress in Photovoltaics: Research and Applications. doi: 10.1002/pip.1153.
- Naghavi, N., D. Abou-Ras, N. Allsop, N. Barreau, S. Bücheler, A. Ennaoui, C.-H. Fischer, C. Guillen, et al. 2010. Buffer layers and transparent conducting oxides for chalcopyrite Cu(In,Ga)(S,Se)2 based thin film photovoltaics: present status and current developments. Progress in Photovoltaics: Science and Applications 18: 411.Google Scholar
- Persson, C. 2010. Electronic and optical properties of Cu2ZnSnS4 and Cu2ZnSnSe4. Journal of Applied Physics 107: 053710-053710-8.Google Scholar
- Zimmermann, U., M. Ruth, and M. Edoff. 2006. Cadmium-free CIGS mini-modules with ALD-grown Zn(O,S)-based buffer layers. Proceedings of 21st European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference, pp. 1831–1834.Google Scholar