National Park Development in China: Conservation or Commercialization?
The rapid development of parks and ecotourism in China has attracted worldwide attention, not only for the beauty of the landscape that the parks are protecting but also for their abundant and often unique biodiversity. However, in some areas, the development of ecotourism has actually led to the degradation of local ecological, economic, and social systems. Using National Forest Parks for demonstration, this article analyzes the current political, institutional, legal, environmental, and economic issues concerning National Parks in China, and examines their potential future development. Although the intention of National Park systems in China is to raise environmental quality, and to protect biodiversity and social livelihoods, their success has varied. Future success will be measured by their capacity to reduce poverty, to promote long-term rehabilitation of wildlife habitats, and to simultaneously protect Chinese culture and biodiversity.
KeywordsNational Parks Conservation Natural resources Degradation Ecotourism China
- Brown-John, C.L. 2006. Canada’s National Parks Policy: From bureaucrats to collaborative managers. Canadian Political Science Association. http://www.cpsa-acsp.ca/papers-2006/Brown-John.pdf. Accessed 05 Dec 2010.
- Chen, F.B., and Y.S. Zhao. 2004. Basic problems of research on super heritage resource: Research status and project of World Heritage and National Park in China. Journal of Mountain Science 22: 1–6.Google Scholar
- China Ministry of Environmental Protection. 2009. Concept and Management Mode of National Park Introduced into China. http://en.cnta.gov.cn/html/2008-11/2008-11-2-21-49-03492.html Accessed 17 Feb 2011.
- Commission on National Parks and Protected Areas and World Conservation Monitoring Centre. 1994. Guidelines for protected area management categories, 261 pp. Cambridge: The World Conservation Union: 261 pp.Google Scholar
- Fujian Forestry Survey and Design Institute. 1994. Fuzhou National Park Management Plan. Fuzhou: Fuzhou National Park.Google Scholar
- Huang. Y., J., Deng, J. Li, and Y. Zhong, Y. 2008. Visitors’ attitudes towards China’s National Forest Park policy, roles and functions, and appropriate use. Journal of Sustainable Tourism 16: 63–84.Google Scholar
- Hwang, S-C. 1951. The development of Chinese port cities. Acta Geographica Sinica Z1 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- LeRoy, S. 2004. Can the market save our parks. Fraser Forum, April, 10–11.Google Scholar
- Li, J.L. 2002. The development of evolution of Chinese modern landscape architecture. China Landscape 4: 3–4.Google Scholar
- Li, R.N. 2004. Problems in fund operation of forest parks and its countermeasures. Green China 18: 48–49.Google Scholar
- Li, D.W. 2006a. The necessary and practicality to lead ISO 14001 standard in management of national park. Guangdong Landscape Architecture 28: 65–72.Google Scholar
- Li, S.D., and X.F. Chen. 2007. Study on the developing track of China’s forest parks and forest tourism. Tourism Tribune 5: 66–72.Google Scholar
- Liu, D.Q. 2007. Chinese domestic tourism during 2001–2005 and development trend and prediction in 2006–2010 (I, II). Journal of Beijing Union University 5: 72–76; 5: 33–36.Google Scholar
- Ma, C.L. 2008. China ecotourism: Status quo, issues and suggestions (II). Tourism Research Center of CASS. http://184.108.40.206:8000/course/travel/forest/Article_Show.asp?ArticleID=131 Accessed 19 Feb 2011 (in Chinese).
- Meng, X.M. 2008. Management experience of American national park system: Lesson for Chinese National Park management. World Forestry Research. 20: 75–79.Google Scholar
- National Bureau of Statistics of China. 2009. China Statistical Database. http://220.127.116.11/reportYearQuery.do?id=2200 Accessed 28 Apr 2011.
- Nature Conservancy. 2007. Places we protect: China’s First National Park. http://www.nature.org/wherewework/asiapacific/china/work/pudacuo.html. Accessed 20 Feb 2011.
- Rollins, R., and D. Robinson. 2002. Social science, conservation, and protected areas. In Parks and protected areas in canada: planning and management, 2nd ed, ed. P. Dearden, and R. Rollins, 117–147. Don Mills: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Standardization Administration of China. 2003. China National Standard of rating for quality of tourist attractions (GB/T 17775-2003).Google Scholar
- State Forestry Administration. 1993–2008. China Forestry Statistical Yearbook. Beijing: China Forestry Publishing House.Google Scholar
- State Forestry Administration. 1999. Forestry development in China 1949–1999. Beijing: China Forestry Publishing House.Google Scholar
- State Forestry Administration. 2006. The retrospective and perspective of Chinese Forest park construction and forest tourism development. http://www.yxmiaomuw.com/news.asp?NewsId=2089 Accessed 05 February 2011 (In Chinese).
- State Forestry Administration. 2010. Program progresses and achievements. http://english.forestry.gov.cn/web/article.do?action=readnew&id=201001141149505000 Accessed 1 May 2011.
- Sun, W., Y.Z. Huang, Z.X. Ma, and X.L. Li. 2006. Building a national park in Western China. Western 6: 84–91.Google Scholar
- Tang, L. 2006. The debate of whole leasing of a national park. China National Conditions and Strength 8: 41–43.Google Scholar
- Toy, M.-A. 2006. Threat to delist world heritage site in China. www.theage.com.au/news/world/threat-to-delist-world-heritage-site-in-china/2006/10/18/1160850998047.html Accessed 17 Feb 2011.
- United Nations General Assembly 2005. 2005 World Summit Outcome, Resolution A/60/1, adopted by the General Assembly on 15 September 2005. Retrieved 17 Feb 2009.Google Scholar
- Wang, H.W. 2009. Impacts of the New Holiday Policy on tourism behaviors of China Residents and Countermeasures for tourism. Tourism Science 23(3): 62–68.Google Scholar
- Western, D. 1993. Foreword: Defining ecotourism. In Ecotourism: A guide for planners and managers, ed. K. Lindberg, and D.E. Hawkins, 7–11. North Bennington: Ecotourism Society.Google Scholar
- World Database on Protected Areas. 2010. UNEP-WCMC, Cambridge, UK. http://www.protectedplanet.net Accessed 20 Feb 2011.
- Wu, R. 2000. Study on sustainable forest park development in Hunan Province. Forest Resource Management 5: 38–41.Google Scholar
- Wu, X., H. Xu, M. Jiang, and L. Liu. 2002. Harmonized development in nature reserve and local community. Rural Eco-Environment 18: 10–13 (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Xing, H.B., and Z.X. Wang. 2006. The impact of tourism on the local social culture. Commercial Research 14: 162–164.Google Scholar
- Xinhua News. 2008. Xinjiang fully developing Genanxi National Park. http://news.xinhuanet.com/travel/2008-04/21/content_8019321.htm Accessed 17 Feb 2011 (in Chinese).
- Xinhua News. 2009. The rapid increase of visitors and the scale of National Forest Parks in China. http://www.gov.cn/jrzg/2009-04/20/content_1290781.htm Accessed 17 Feb 2011 (in Chinese).
- Yang, B.S., H. Zheng, G.Q. Yin, T.Q. Zhao, P. He, and Z.Y. Quyang. 2006. Research on landscape pattern change in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park. Scientia Silvae Sinicae 42: 11–15.Google Scholar
- Yuan, J., L. Dai, and Q. Wang. 2008. State-led ecotourism development and nature conservation: A case study of the Changbai Mountain Biosphere Reserve, China. Ecology and Society 13: 55.Google Scholar
- Zhang, C.Z. 2006. The debate and its essential on managing system of the World Heritage Site. Commercial Research 340: 175–179.Google Scholar
- Zhang, P. 2009. The impacts of the New Holiday Policy on domestic tourism. Northern Economy and Trade, 130–131.Google Scholar
- Zhang, B.P., Z. Wu, F. Xiao, and S.G. Mo. 2004. Protecting the National Parks and the world heritage sites in China: Challenge and strategy. Journal of Geographical Science 14: 87–90.Google Scholar
- Zhou, Y.P., and G.Q. Huang. 2008. Environmental protection of forest park tourism—A case of the Guangzhou Liuxi River National Forest Park. In Proceedings for the 2008 Euro-Asia conference on environment and corporate social responsibility: tourism, ed. Y. Zhang, 20–24. MICE and management technique session, Tianjin, P. R China, 18–19 January 2008. Berlin: Wissenschaftlicher Verlag.Google Scholar
- Zhou, N., and K. Yu. 2004. The urbanization of national parks and its countermeasures. Urban Planning Forum 1: 57–61.Google Scholar
- Zhuge, R., T.-F. Chen, and T. Lacy. 2000. An approach to involving local community into participatory management of natural resources in Wuyishan national nature reserve in Fujian. Rural Eco-Environment 16: 47–52.Google Scholar